stuck fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ride0488

Reaction score
I got 4 pails of Mosti Mondiale juice (chianti,nebbiolo,merlot & montepulciano).on Oct4th.put yeast in (1/2 packet pasteor red).room tempt was 75 .
Fermentation started on oct 6 (day 2).On day 8 sg reading was 1000 on all 4 pails.So I splash racked in glass carboys.juice temp at 75.On day 12 sg still on 1000.So I degassed all 4 and seemed to get most of gas out.checked 2 days later and still stuck on 1000sg.What do you think went wrong.

Ride
Was your OG high. It could be your yeast died of alcoholic toxicity and fermentation will not continue.
If it were mine and is at 1.000 I would leave it as is.

John

Im with John on this one. getting a 1.00 going will be next to impossible. Taste it, you might be fine with it

May I ask why you added just a 1/2 packet of yeast? Normally, the whole packet is used for 5 -6 gallons of must? 1 gr per gallon is even better.
I would think that the yeast population didn't have a chance.

your wine is fine. the amount of error from .998 to 1.000 is small. if really worried find another hydrometer and measure it and see if numbers match.

Thank you for your reply's.I tasted all and they seem to be okay.I guess I just got a little nervous that they just stopped at 1000 sg.I'll let them sit for a while and see if I can get them a little lower.When do you think I should add sulfites and ascorbic acid.Thanks again for your help in this matter.

Latest posts

Back