Stuck fermentation or exposure to oxygen?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubsession

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my first post, so I apologize if these questions have been asked before. I still consider myself a novice at making wine even though I am currently on my fourth batch, but I think I may have bitten off a little more than I can chew this time. I decided to make a 6 gallon batch of pumpkin wine this go round and it's behaving very differently than my last few batches I've already made. The yeast I used was Lalvin KIV-1116 (first time using this strain) but it seemed that fermentation was a little sluggish the first few days after pitching, so I pitched again after a few days (I think this may have contributed to part of my problem) using yeast, yeast nutrient and sugar. Fermentation picked up pretty quickly and continued to ferment in my primary as my previous wines had done. Some friends of mine who also make wine have been contemplating leaving my wine in the primary for 2 weeks instead of the general 5-7 days I had been going by. Nearing the 11th or 12th day I have noticed that fermentation has (or at least appears to) stopped and has stopped bubbling. I transferred it into a carboy and it's showing no evidence of fermentation from what I can see. I checked the SG after transferring and it's showing a SG of around 1.000. Has fermentation completely stopped at this point? Is my wine ruined? Also, I made the newbie mistake of transferring into my carboy by pouring (I think I may have exposed it to too much oxygen by not siphoning and allowing it to slowly pour down the side of my carboy). Has anyone else encountered these issues when making pumpkin, or any other wine for that matter? I'm not sure if it's the strain of yeast used, as I normally use Red Star Dry Champagne Yeast (yellow packet) when making wine. I apologize for just posting a giant blob of information or making it too confusing, but I am a little frustrated with this batch and I'm hoping I don't have to just dump it because of my mistakes. Any suggestions or information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

If you weren't done fermenting when you transferred, you were pretty close. I don't think you ruined your wine either way though. Is your carboy under airlock and topped up? You're done fermenting when your SG is the same for at least 3 days (if it is still dropping, you're still fermenting). I'd let it sit for a few days, maybe a week and take a measurement.

Boatboy,

Yes, my carboy is topped up to the neck and tightly fitted with bung and airlock. It still has no "off" tastes or aromas from what I can tell. The reason I used this strain of yeast is because of it's tolerance of higher alcohol percentages to the previous yeast I had been using, as well as a huge temperature tolerance range (I believe it was somewhere around the range of 51-104 degrees Fahrenheit).

Did you add Kmeta or anything when you racked? I added too much Kmeta when I racked a wine that was around 1.002 SG. It did nothing for a week or two. I whipped some oxygen in and it finished to .998.

Splash racking shouldnt cause the fermentation to stick. It is usually avoided because it causes oxidation.

Did you add Kmeta or anything when you racked? I added too much Kmeta when I racked a wine that was around 1.002 SG. It did nothing for a week or two. I whipped some oxygen in and it finished to .998.

Splash racking shouldnt cause the fermentation to stick. It is usually avoided because it causes oxidation.

Maddog,

I haven't racked it yet, since it's only been several days since I originally transferred from my primary into my secondary. As far as using Kmeta or campden tablets, I haven't added any to my batch as of yet. Do you think this may have led to a bacterial contamination?

Edit: Although I decided not to add either of these to my wine yet, I've been very meticulous as far as sanitation goes with all of my equipment that comes in contact with my wine.

Last edited:
When i said splach racking I was referring to pouring it out of the primary into the secondary.

I couldnt tell you if it has been contaminated. Kmeta helps kill bacteria and wild yeast. Most people add it before fermentation and a small amount at each racking to prevent oxidation. I would leave it alone and be patient. It may never get below 1.000. I'm far from an expert, but if there is something "wrong" with it, it should have some other symptoms. There are some stickies posted that deal with diagnosing problems.

When i said splach racking I was referring to pouring it out of the primary into the secondary.

I couldnt tell you if it has been contaminated. Kmeta helps kill bacteria and wild yeast. Most people add it before fermentation and a small amount at each racking to prevent oxidation. I would leave it alone and be patient. It may never get below 1.000. I'm far from an expert, but if there is something "wrong" with it, it should have some other symptoms. There are some stickies posted that deal with diagnosing problems.

Sounds good, thanks for all of your information.

maddog, most will add a 1/4 teaspoon to drive off wild yeasts prior to starting fermentation so the cultivtated yeast has a sterile environment to work in....no more k-meta is added UNTIL fermentation is complete, meaning when the sg is close to, in some cases, or below 1.000, and is stable for at least 3 consecutive days....then generally the wine is racked off the lees again, and k-meta is added, as well as sorbate IF backsweetening is to be done....added k-meta prior to fermentation completing, could then lead to a stuck fermentation....

Latest posts

Back