stuck fermentation in secondary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZebraB

Reaction score
I racked to a carboy when SG reached 1.02 on a kit that came with D47 yeast. The SG has not changed and there is now visible bubbles. The initial SG was 1.09 so the alcohol cannot be too high for the yeast. I have kept the temp as close to 68 F as recommended. I think my problem was that I used distilled water vs spring.

I have some EC118 yeast I can add to get fermentation going again. However do not know which plan is better

1) rehydrate at 104F for 15 minutes and pitch it to wine
2) Rehydrate with nutrients and wait till active fermentation (1 day at room temp), then pitch to wine.

Any advise would be appreciated

Your water choice should not be an issue. Did the kit say to rack at that point? I don't rack until fermentation is done with a kit. Just because yeast drops from suspension it doesn't mean it is inactive.

The instructions did not call for racking into carboy for secondary fermentation. I had done that with previous batches and had not had a problem. There were bigger oak chips which meant I could not pull it all over. There was yeast at the bottom when I cleaned out.

I have not kept it in the bucket before. I was afraid of oxygen exposure in the later stage. Is that something, I need not worry if I rack when it stops (via 2 day SG readings).

Patience is a wine makers virtue. Today I have bubbles and I did not add any new yeast. Likely reduced the yeast count when I racked and it took a while for the remaining yeast to reach critical mass. Next time I think I will aggressively stir before racking to secondary.

Latest posts

Back