stuck corks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duster

Reaction score
Why in the Heck do I keep breaking cork screws?
I just bought an electric cork screw and broke it on the first bottle. I have broken countless "wal-mart" openers as well.
I think I am doing something when bottling that causes my corks to get stuck to the bottle.
Here is what I do.
I Place the corks in a plastic bowl, spray the corks lightly with K-Meta solution and put the lid on the bowl.
Fill the bottles to the top with a bottling wand. remove the wand to leave the correct head space.
Open the bowl and cork the bottles.
the next day I put PVC shrink caps on the bottles with boiling water.
I use #9 x 1.75" agglomerated corks and a Colonna Corker.
I have two theories, either the wine (sweet wine) is causing the cork to stick fast to the bottle or the K-meta is doing something to the cork causing it to stick fast.
I have noticed that when I grab a bottle that seems stuck I can put it back in the corker and press the cork down into the bottle neck slightly, this seems to break the seal and allows the cork to be removed as normal.

I am willing to switch to a synthetic cork if you guys think it will solve this problem.

Weird! I wouldn't think that would happen. I would think the cork would break before the cork screw broke. I actually like to use the waiter's key type cork screw. They are cheap and very effective.

yes, I like the waters key as well but I have broke 3 of them, 2 the plastic broke out around pin that holds the corkscrew and the other I bent the little kickstand that rest on the bottles edge.
Is it possible the heat from the boiling water causes the cork to stick?

corks stuck in a rut

Sometimes what happens is THE CORK expands inside the bottle . There is absolutely NO give between the two(INSIDE WALL AND CORK),THEY LAMINATED themselves together ,. So when it comes time to extract THE CORK the only thing you get out IS PART OF THE CORK .AGGLOMERATED WINE CORKS, THIS IS ACORK THAT IS BONDED TOGETHER ALL PARTICLES (OPPOSE THE LAMATED PART ISN'T BONDED WELL)ONLY PARTIAL COMES OUT,. THESE ARE USUALLY RECOMMENDED FOR YOUNG WINES THING TWO YEARS OF BOTTLING,. These are the type we usually use at least most of us do . They're inexpensive they do come in a variety of sizes ,, number nine usually are 1 1/2 inches long or one and three-quarter inches long ,navigation ahead was a short CORKS and for one to five years of aging ,. The inches three-quarter CORKS group for two years of age ,. At least that's the recommendations are using the style CORKS ?

I personally think this is an extension problem with the corks part ,and I have went through many and opener both electric and manual that's all the type cork that I use is the one I stated above , :db

Last edited:
I use the same corks but I use a heat gun for the capsules. How long would you say the end of the bottle is in the boiling water?

I use the same corks but I use a heat gun for the capsules. How long would you say the end of the bottle is in the boiling water?

only seconds if that.

Also either Josewine or myself have been hitting it a bit too hard tonight. I may try to read that post again in the morning, maybe then it will look more like English to me.

Thanks Duster and Doug, It took me 4 or 5 times trying to read that before I gave up!

things happen?

:db I think a lot of it is also do to the internal shape or missed shape (inside diameter of the neck) it has to be something ,either cork fit,bottle neck size,or were both hitting it a little too hard,all kidding aside it is a problem throughout our wine club..truly:w

Editted

MAN THAT PRIOR POST WAS ALL WEIRD,NEED TO TALK TO MY EDITOR?:gn

Do you soak your corks in K-Meta before pressing them into the bottles? I did this with my first batch and the same thing happened when I tried to open them STUCK TIGHT !!!
Someone told me to carefully insert a knife blade around the very top of the cork and then try pulling the cork. Worked every time for me.

Give it a try......What can it hurt.......

BOB

Not that it is terribly helpful in hindsight, but going forward, I haven't encountered anyone serious that advocates spraying or soaking your corks. Inserting them dry helps them seal correctly - by inserting them wet, you are interfering with the proper seal.

try a different cork or get a stainless steel corkscrew. Good luck!

Why in the Heck do I keep breaking cork screws?

I have two theories, either the wine (sweet wine) is causing the cork to stick fast to the bottle or the K-meta is doing something to the cork causing it to stick fast.

Here's what I think...

The sugar in the "sweet wine" is gluing the cork to the inside of the neck. I dunno how to fix it except to maybe rinse the inside of the neck with a little water after filling and before corking.

Or, I could be completely full of it, and I don't mean wine. ;)

sweet or not?

I personally don't think it matters it seem to happening to some dry wines in our group,maybe its as:tz simple as their a little to big and when they expand in the neck their not going to come out ?:d

Last edited:
I had the same problem, Duster, until I changed to synthetic corks. They go in easy and are fairly easy to remove with the electric corkscrew, yet hold the liquid tightly in the bottle.

Latest posts

Back