Stuck at 7 Brix

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBarnes

Junior
Reaction score
I fermented 25 gallons of Merlot must and everything was cooking along great but when it got to 7 Brix it slowed to a suggish halt. I reintroduced a couple gallons of freshly fermented must, put in some energizer and things cranked back up. Now it has reached 7 to 6 Brix again and slowed down to barely a bubble. When it reached 7 the first time I also added MLB. My ph is 3.8, my acid is ok, I don't have any off smells and the temp is hovering around 72 degrees in a 75 degree room. I am at a loss.

Alcohol Tolerance: 16% I doubt that its reached that yet.

MLB ??? Please expand.

temp

my ambiant temp did fall during the initial fermentation into the 50s and I thought that may have been the problem. I am still forming a slight cap so there is still stuff happening but my brix is not moving much.

Fermentation always slows down when its reaching its end and by dding more sugar to it like you did you probably made it a little worse as there is more alc in there now wgich slows it down even more. The higher the abv the slower the fermentation will be. Did you stir it up to get some 02 into the wine? Some energizer might do the trick.

energizer

I did add some energizer and increased the ambient temp. How long should I wait before I give in and press it at a higher than desired brix. It is about 6 now but real sluggish even though the temp is up to about 77 and a cap is still forming. I am wondering if the cap is forming due to the MLB or if I have any yeast left.

refractometer

TB1 thanks I think I figured it out. Definite beginners mistake, something to learn from I have been using a refractometer to check my bricks and when I used my hydrometer is showed below zero brix. I did a residual sugar test and have no residual sugar. So, tomorrow I press.

Latest posts

Back