Stuck at 1.068

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madriver Wines

Reaction score
My son-in-law started a must of false wine using the left overs from our Loganberry must last weekend. We added 10lbs sugar and all the additives except yeast. The start SG was 1.090.It took off fermenting and then stopped. He has added more yeast to no avail. It is stuck at 1.068 and has not dropped in a couple days now. What to do now? Is a second or false wine even possible with fruit? He read it some where and just had to try it. The color is ok alittle thin but not as bad as we thought it would be. he did not add any yeast at first and then added Montreche (spelling is off). Help lol.:sl

Last edited:
Usually a pack of Champagne yeast will get it started back up. Do you have a local brew shop? Get some Lalvin EC-1118 and give it a try. Your "false wine" should ferment. I fermented water with just sugar added once to see if it would do it. It did.

Steve, I also heard that Premier Cuvee works good for restarting a stuck fermentation.

Either 1 of the 3 yeasts will work but since you already have some abv there you will want to make a good starter yeast. Do this by getting 1 of the above listed yeasts and a small amount of juice like OJ and warm it up to about 78* and add some nutrient to it and then add the yeast. Once a fermentation starts start adding some of your Logan berry must slowly to it to acclimate the yeast to the must with alc. keep doing this little by little add some must in everry few hours until uoi have about a quart or more of your must added to this starter and then add this all to your wine which should also be at the same warnmer temp to prevent yeast shock.

I second what Wade said. Additionally, a tsp of yeast energizer would give it a boost.

Either 1 of the 3 yeasts will work but since you already have some abv there you will want to make a good starter yeast. Do this by getting 1 of the above listed yeasts and a small amount of juice like OJ and warm it up to about 78* and add some nutrient to it and then add the yeast. Once a fermentation starts start adding some of your Logan berry must slowly to it to acclimate the yeast to the must with alc. keep doing this little by little add some must in everry few hours until uoi have about a quart or more of your must added to this starter and then add this all to your wine which should also be at the same warnmer temp to prevent yeast shock.

I conveyed this info to Jon and he is starting the yeast starter today. Should have it in tonight and by tomorrow we will see what is going on. Thanks to everyone for all the help to date and I am getting hooked on this site as well as wine making.:f Hey Troy how is the bear population doing ??

Ok, it is starting to go again. He added yeast energizer the first evening we talked and then he warmed his must up from 68 to 75 and that helped as well. I did the math on it at 1.068 ending SG and came up with 3.17%. I told him that was unacceptable lol. I will kepp everyone posted on the come back.

Steve 3.17 is only an arbitrary number at this point, I believe, and I may be wrong, if you have got it "jump started" then the abv will be what it is when it is finished. I hope it keeps going for you and Jon. Just remeber another unwritten rule, " staring at your wine while it works will not only piss the wine off, it may make you crossed eyes as well" ! Probably no truth whatsoever in that, but I sure like saying it!!:f

I wasn't making, nor hooked on this wine making obsession last fall, this time comin around, I will fight for my berries. There was an arcticle in our paper this morning warning us the bears are waking up and to be careful.

Where are you in Ohio anyway Steve? My SEESTERS both live just outside of Columbus.

keep on keepin on
Troy
:r

Yes, your right it is only a number on a sheet of paper right now. I live about an hour west of Columbus. Keep one eye on the berries and one eye on the bearies lol. OK maybe not that funny but a good pun.

:rSuccess! The added energizer and increased heat along with some stirring to add alittle air did the trick. Thanks to every body who jumped in and helped. I will have to let you know what the "second or false" wine turns out like.

Excellent Steve, refrain from the staring. Glad it fired back up. Now leave it to do its thing

Excellent Steve, refrain from the staring. Glad it fired back up. Now leave it to do its thing
I cant seem to take my eyes off of it lol. You do find yourself staring at the darn thing thinking ferment dad burn it ferment !! It is slowing down again ?? I am not sure about this whole second wine thing, but we will see I guess.:sl

I wanted to update this thread about the "second" wine Jon tried. It restarted and then went blurb. It took on a smell that is only known to wine makers ha ha. We had to toss it out. Any commentary on why it went bad?

Not enough alc probably to protect it from getting contaminated. This is a good reason why beer makers make yeast starters so that they can get alc made fast before any spoilage. The quicker it ferments the safer it is but thats also not always good taste wise, a happy medium is typically better.

Latest posts

Back