Stuck at 1.010

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winenewby

Junior
Reaction score
I am about 6 weeks into a batch of blackberry wine. I don't know the SG at the beginning but it has been at 1.010 for 6 days. I have it in a warm room so temp is no problem. I used K1V-1116 yeast. The flavor and alcohol is good and it is clear. Can it be finished fermenting at 1.010?

Without knowing what the initial sg was we'll never know and this is why you should never make wine without a hydrometer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you're happy with the flavour and balance you can certainly finish the wine off at that SG. Just make sure to stabilize the wine adequately with sulphite and sorbate to prevent any refermentation in bottle. Since you don't know the starting SG the only real issue is whether the alcohol level might be too low to keep the wine stable... alcohol is a natural stabilizer, and if it's too low, you run the risk of bacterial spoilage, etc. That being said, some sweeter German Rieslings have an alcohol content as low as 7%. I would probably increase the amount of sulphite a bit just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the help. I did have a hydrometer when I mixed the batch. I found out that it doesn't make a good prybar. After I broke it I couldn't get a new one for 3 days.

I am about 6 weeks into a batch of blackberry wine. I don't know the SG at the beginning but it has been at 1.010 for 6 days. I have it in a warm room so temp is no problem. I used K1V-1116 yeast. The flavor and alcohol is good and it is clear. Can it be finished fermenting at 1.010?

When the starting SG was too high the yeast can not consume
all the sugar in the must and therefore fermentation can finish above 1.000.
So yes it is possible that the wine has finished.

Luc

Latest posts

Back