Stuck and need some help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fauxfly

Reaction score
Here's my story

The batch of candy cane I was so happy about is now giving me an ulcer !

I started out with a three and a half gallon batch, in a four gallon primary, my trouble was that when I checked things periodically, my towel would drag into the must. After a day of this I decided to "transfer" into a larger primary so I could have some more room. I basically poured the three gallons into the six gallon pail and set it all back up the same.

Four days later the hydrometer hasn't moved, now I'm starting to get nervous...Hoping I'm in the right place here guys !!

My recipe was as simple as it gets: 72 canes, nutrient for 3 gall, 3 gallons of water. I used Lalvin 1118. Had real good luck with this yeast so I know its a performer. Could it be that when I transfered the must to a larger pri I disturbed it to the point of killing the yeast ?? Must temp is kept steady at between 72 and 74. I'm confident its not a temp thing, as its warm all the time.

Really need some help here as I've bragged up this wine to some other vinters and would hate to have a glass with a dinner of crow!!

Thanks guys!

Steve

Steve:

I doubt the transfer is the problem. In fact, sometimes movement like that re-activates dormant yeast.

What are the specific gravities and time frames? Do you know the acidity (ph)?

Steve

I don't know the acidity, the starting SG was 1120, about 72 hours later it was 1110, (doing nicely). Thats when I decided enough with the towel dragging in the must, transferred to my bigger primary. Ever since then I have'nt seen any activity on my hydrometer, its been a week. Very nervous !!

Any ideas ??

S

So, in other words, the ferment never really started. A drop from 1.120 to 1.110 isn't really very much in 3 days.

Steve

Like CP said thats not much. I had an SG go from 1.094 to 1.005 in five days. Maybe a 1/4 tsp of Energizer?

Last edited:
Thats what I'm wondering , What is my next step here. Another yeast, try energizer, more nutrient. What would you guys do next with this ??

I'm reading a gravity of 1110 right now. Like you said the ferment never really started I guess.

Help

S

There are two things that bother me.

First I think the acid level will be low. Yeast need an acidic environment to do the job. So get an acid testing kit and look at the acid level and adjust.

Next a low acid high SG wine might be difficult to start.
Besides that I believe an SG of 1120 is way to high for such a wine. It will get down to 16% alcohol or there about which would make this rocket fuel.

I would do the acids test and make a very strong yeast starter.
When that ferments vigorous, pour it in a primary, now add half the volume of the starter, from the must to the starter. Wait till it ferments again vigorously and then take again half the volume of this and add it to the starter. Keep adding each time half the volume of the starter from your must to the starter until more as half of the volume of the must has been used, then pour in the rest.

Luc

Thanks Luc

Would I just be able to dilute the must a "little" with water. To lower the potential ABV.

Yes diluting with water would be a possibility, however then there is the fact that the acid levels will even be lower.
This is why a acid testing kit is off such importance.

Luc

Thanks a lot Luc

I called my LHBS and they have a test kit. I'll pick one up. My next question is then how will I know what i want to get the acid level to without a target level in the beginning of the receipe??

Steve

Well I presume this will be a white wine or a blush wine. Not a lot of body. So keep it low. About 6 will be fine.

If you need to know how to do acid tests you can look up my stories on that here:

http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2009/11/zuurmeting-04-measuring-acidity-04.html

This is part 4 of the saga. Part 5 is still to follow.
In part 4 you can find links to all the previous parts. I suggest starting with part 1.

Luc

Thanks again friend

I learned quick how to use the acid test kit and have measured what I thought to be about .15%. I set a target of mid range on my kits instructuion page. I acidified to .65% with acid blend. I'm planning on pitching another yeast tommorrow morning. Really hoping this will do the trick as I won't know what to do next.

Except get back on my favorite wine making forum !!

Thanks Luc

Steve

Latest posts

Back