stubborn film on interior surface of carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[

Try muratic acid for removing lime deposits. Much cheaper than lime away. It is also used for cleaning motrar from brick and etching concrete before painting. Be sure to read the directions and use in a well ventalated area.

Also works on organic deposits.

It may or may not be a related clearning issue, but for stubborn bottle stains and in the decanter I have with an oddly shaped body I've used the "Decanter Cleaning Beads" idea.
http://www.wineenthusiast.com/decanter-cleaning-beads.asp

Now I just used ball bearings, the same result however. I have not used this method on a carboy but now this thread has me thinking I'll try it first if any stains become noticable on the inside.

Another thing, would very hot, boiling K-Meta solution work? The reason I think of this is that I have a coffee maker with a caraffe, insulated with stainless steel interior. Over a few years it became black with coffee residue. No amount of awkward scrubbing, nor vinegar though would help. ON a whim I thought I'd do a sanitizing of the coffee maker the other week. I used K-Meta. I was quite surprised that the thick residue on the inside of the caraffe was stripped right off, the stainless steel is as crisp and shiny as it was on day one. There were flakes of gelatinous coffee bits coming out from even the small cracks between the thermos part and the insulated exterior. I have no idea what chemical reaction would have taken place to cause this wonderful cleaning, but wondering if very hot K-Meta would have worked on the poster's stained carboy?

Steel balls in a glass jug makes me worry about shaking too hard and breaking or chipping the inside. I have had luck with dried rice and water. Or even a vinegar solution and rice to clean off the haze.

Course sand might work. I have used it in the past in wine bottles but never tried it in a carboy.

haven't tried oxy. My thinking on that was, that's what one-step is.?? it isn't?

Tom, are you saying you've successfuly used oxy-clean to clean carboy film?

I just wanted to be clear if this was a known remedy or just a suggestion. Thanks.

what has been tried is 2 cups of bleach in 6 gal water with no visible change.

Oxyclean works great, wyntheef!

So should I bother trying to remove those nasty stains or just leave them?

Back