Strong smelling apple wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathanwdavis

Junior
Reaction score
I have been making 6 gallon batches of apple wine in a 6 gal carboy for quite a few years. Lately my wife is complaining that it gives me an unpleasant smelling wine breath, so I'm wondering if I can adjust my formula to avoid that by-product?

I use 6 gallons of store-bought apple cider, 3 lbs of cane sugar, a little yeast food, and a champagne yeast. I let the fermentation process go all the way to the end, add pectin at the end to help clarify the wine, add camden tablets to stop any further fermentation, and then let it age for a year. I let it ferment in my basement where the temp stays fairly constant at around 66 degrees F. I figure that the wine ends up at about 9-10% alcohol.

It tastes great but she says that it gives me a bad breath, even after only 1 glass. I've tried brushing my teethe after drinking but the smell still lingers. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
your fermentation process is sound.maybe probiotics to digest the wine better. not a wine problem but a philological issue
maybe talk to a doctor?

Latest posts

Back