Strong Ethanol Smell and Flavor !!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kokomimi

Junior
Reaction score
I started my wine from juice concentrate on 17-OCT

keep it in bucket for 4 days!

on 21-OCT i rack it to carboy and leave it there untill 5-NOV and rack it again to carboy..

on 5-DEC i rack and taste it and it has very very strong Ethanol smell and Flavor!!

is it problem or what? i can't understand what's happening !!

the yeast i used is red star Montrachet ..

My calculator shows just shy of 10% abv, which is pretty low. What kind of wine? Perhaps not enough balance with flavor? Are you going to oak? Backsweeten?

My calculator shows just shy of 10% abv, which is pretty low. What kind of wine? Perhaps not enough balance with flavor? Are you going to oak? Backsweeten?

i made it with juice concentrate ..

already sweetened (add more juice) + pottasium sorbate

already oaked

it still has the smell of strong alcohol (fusel alcohol - maybe?)

how to get rid of it :(

Let it age.

Also need to know what kind it is. The reason is some varieties take longer to age than others. Had one peach that took nearly 2 years to come around.

Let it age.

Also need to know what kind it is. The reason is some varieties take longer to age than others. Had one peach that took nearly 2 years to come around.

for how long should i age it?

i don't know from which variety .. it is a store bought grape juice

274403_main.jpg_480Wx480H

Is that a alcohol smell or is it a bad rotten smell? Montrechet yeast has a habit of giving off a rotten egg kind of smell if it gets stressed during the ferment. Arne.

Is that a alcohol smell or is it a bad rotten smell? Montrechet yeast has a habit of giving off a rotten egg kind of smell if it gets stressed during the ferment. Arne.

the fermentation is finished .. its been now 2 months and 2 weeks since i start making the wine..

the smell is like (acetone)

strong alcohol smell

Too much air contact, too much head space in carboy, maybe no sulfite, or all of the above.

Latest posts

Back