Strictly Speaking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to hate going to Union meetings where the favourite saying was; " At this moment in time". Why the hell couldn't they say "Now".
As for Americans not speaking proper English, even the English don't speak English properly.
Of course, being a Yorkshire man, I speak the Kings English tha knows.
I know what you mean. My "favorite" was "viable alternative." Are there non-viable alternatives? If a measure is non-viable, can it be considered an alternative?

Also, in the news if frequently hear that someone or something was "surrounded on three sides." I could understand "flanked" on three sides, but "surrounded" implies all sides.

I do believe that this might be the first indicator of a true pedant. One who can explain the reason that your use of a subjective-case pronoun as the object of a preposition is incorrect, as opposed to the simpler explanation that you should use I instead of me.

There is no time in my life other than when I am explaining that seen is the past participle of see and must be used with have, had, has to demonstrate correct past tense that the knowledge comes in handy. However they wouldn't call it past perfect tense if it wasn't as it should be, so I shall continue my work to edify the masses. 😄

I find that typing and sharing quick thoughts online has worsened my grammar, spelling, and punctuation. I catch myself (most of the time, Paul...) replacing are and our, your and you're when blurting out a quick reply. We have all seen the nearly unreadable text style posts without a lick of punctuation. I expect it will only get much worse.

The next generation may only be able to communicate in emoji's. Modern day hieroglyphs?
I do believe that this might be the first indicator of a true pedant. One who can explain the reason that your use of a subjective-case pronoun as the object of a preposition is incorrect, as opposed to the simpler explanation that you should use I instead of me.

There is no time in my life other than when I am explaining that seen is the past participle of see and must be used with have, had, has to demonstrate correct past tense that the knowledge comes in handy. However they wouldn't call it past perfect tense if it wasn't as it should be, so I shall continue my work to edify the masses. 😄

I find that typing and sharing quick thoughts online has worsened my grammar, spelling, and punctuation. I catch myself (most of the time, Paul...) replacing are and our, your and you're when blurting out a quick reply. We have all seen the nearly unreadable text style posts without a lick of punctuation. I expect it will only get much worse.

The next generation may only be able to communicate in emoji's. Modern day hieroglyphs?
Autocorrect has been my worst ENEMA :slp

Latest posts

Back