strawberyy jam wime

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outdoorsmadness

A Wino and proud of it
Reaction score
i just made a 5 gallon batch of stawberry jam wine i used

14# of jam
6 tsp of nutrient
10 tsp of pectic enzyme (would of used more but i ran out)
topped up to 5 gallons with water
adjusted acid to .6 by adding 7 tsp of acid blend
i have a quart of apple juice with a sachet of montrachet yeast in it ( been going for about 7 hours and bubbleing away like crazy)i will pitch be fore going to bed
sg is 1.090
it smells great and taste great
my question is would any of yall add tannin?

I made a 3 gallon batch of strawberry jam/dandelion wine this spring. I didn't use any tannin in it at all. I just got done tasting it again(still bulk aging) and think it tastes great the way it is.

thanks for the info i didnt think that it was needed just wanted someone else's opinioun

Everybody has their own likes and dislikes. I just think strawberry might be too light a taste to be able to handle tannins very well. If you want to, maybe try a small experiment with some of the batch after fermentation is complete.

Exactly racer. just did that after I read this thread. With Strawberry I was going to bottle today. Will let you know

I did not add any tannin in my dandelion-strawberry.
The dandelions will provide for the 'bite'.

Luc

i just made a 5 gallon batch of stawberry jam wine i used

14# of jam
6 tsp of nutrient
10 tsp of pectic enzyme (would of used more but i ran out)
topped up to 5 gallons with water
adjusted acid to .6 by adding 7 tsp of acid blend
i have a quart of apple juice with a sachet of montrachet yeast in it ( been going for about 7 hours and bubbleing away like crazy)i will pitch be fore going to bed
sg is 1.090
it smells great and taste great
my question is would any of yall add tannin?

Did you add any sugar to get to 1.090? I started a batch of grape jelly wine and had issues with starting sg and calculated Sg. The Sg was much higher than what was expected when calculating the sugar content in the jelly.
How much sugar does your jam contain? It would be interesting to see if you had the same issues I had.
thanks
Scott

sjo, i did not add any sugar to my must it all came from the jam.
i used smuckers 2 lb bottles and each bottl had 45 servings at 12 grams of sugar per serving thats 450 grams per 2 lbs i used 7 jars which was 3780 grams i added 1 quart of apple juice for my starter which was about 100 grams of sugar(3870) if i divide that by my 5 gallons after adding water it is 776 grams per gallon and if i divide that by 3.75( thats how many liters are in a gallon) its 206 grams per liter. for every 18 grams of sugar in a liter represents % of potentional alcohol (206\18=11.5%) that is what i was targeting i double checked it with hydrometer and it was 1.090 and i was close to being on my mark. i actually bought an extra 2 lbs in case i wasnt but i hit it where i wanted to. i hope i helped you out in some way. hope i didnt confuse you with all the crazy math. luc actually explains it better than i do.
Bryan

Bryan,
Either you are screwed up or I still am, I'm betting it's me. Help me out here. My calculations tell me your starting sg should have been just under 1.069. With your recipie as well as mine I used the wine calc program. Thats 5260 grams total. In using the program I put 1.090 as target sg and 1.0 as measured sg (using water as the measured base). I select gallons as unit of measure. It tells me I want 1052 grams of sugar per gallon to reach 1.090.

I tried plugging in your numbers in the alchohol page of wine calc also using 206 grams per liter and sg 1.09 . The program would not give an alc rating as it was to high.
This is the same discrepencies I found with my batch. Maybe you can tell me where I am going wrong.
Hope I didn't confuse you!
Scott

i never used wine calc before i based my in fo on 18 grams per liter per % of alcohol, 67.5 grams per gallon per %. im sure you should be aiming for about 800 grams per galon somewhere there abouts. im sorry i cant be of any more help.

did i mess up

i took a sg reading and it was 1.032 so i racked into my 5 gallon carboy and i was a few inches from top, i didnt worry about it because it was still fermenting, so two days later i had the chance of getting more juice ( tonight) it was welches white grape juice ( thought it would give it more body since couldnt find strewberry juice) i took another sg reading tonight and it was 1.024 so i toped off with grape juice and after i did i read ingriedients again and it contained potassium metabisulfite, did i screw up or do you think it will continue to ferment down to dry?

still bubbling this morning, should of known, you cant stop a active fermentation.:)

yeah, it's tough. we learned this early on and realized back sweetening is easier than trying to stop it. ended up with a few batches of ~15% abv or so for a few batches. guess that's what we get using lalvin 1118 and higher starting sg's.

OUT, just leave it alone!!!! Whatever you got going seems happy! I hope you are keeping notes, you will be able to adjust your techniques, ingredients, and everyone elses opinions on the next one.!!LOL

Be happy you have something offering you a good ferment, I am sure you have read the posts of some of the other members who have none or sluggish fermentations. At least your "garden" is growing.

Cheers!

Troy

I agree with Troy. Sometimes ya just have to walk away ha ha. The last time I racked at a SG over 1.03 I had a volcano of fruit spewing out the top of my air lock. I usuallu wait till it gets around 1.01 or so.

Latest posts

Back