Strawberry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koom

Reaction score
I am making a 2 gallon batch of strawberry wine from the forums.

Strawberry Wine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I use 3.5 to 4 lbs fresh very ripe strawberries
2.25 lbs of sugar
1 tsp citric acid
1 gallon of water

combine this and stir daily for 3 - 5- days. If you like you can boil the water or just extract the flavor with cold water--both have good results.

Then strain juice twice (add an extra quart to solids remaining from first strain)
Add yeast and 1 tsp nutrient
Bottle leaving quite a bit of space because the fermentation will be EXPLOSIVE.

I usually put a damp towel over the airlocks to hold them in place the first couple of days because it can make a big mess. You can use primary fermentation too, I have just not done it that way.

Rack as usual and bottle when fermentation ceases (about 3 months).

I doubled the recipe to make 2 gallons. So here is my question. Do I have to remove the fruit before adding the yeast and nutrient in the primary? Or can I just leave the fruit in until I rack to secondary?

Just a few points. Combined all ingredents (expect yeast and nutrient) on 08/05/2010. Starting s.g. - 1.092

Oh yeah almost forgot I planned on using Cotes des Blancs, but I also have Premier Cuvee on hand. Should I use different yeast?

Last edited:
That recipe is not all that good

1st I would TRIPLE it # per gal Put them in a straining bag
Strawberry has alot of water.
Do Not add sugar without checking the gravity then use your HYDROMETER to start@ 1.080
(4 1/2# is rocket fuel for that recipe (bet its "Jacks recipe")
Add Pectic Enzyme 24 hrs before adding yeast
add yeast w/strawberry
Ck the TA (acid)
remove fruit @ 1.020
Rack @ .990 degass, add K-Meta / Sorbate / clearing agents
Rack in 4 weeks and do same till clear.
3 months is early.. more like 6 months

Actually it is St Allie's recipe. All the fruit is in a strainer bag. Thanks for the advice Tom, this is just my second time. I have grape juice wine in the secondary now.

I'm just glad I like strong wine... LOL. Initial sg 1.092

What about the yeast is Cotes des blancs OK? Premier Cuvee? Or shall I get another?

i used cotes de blanc on my peaches and it is different from the others i've used (1116, 1122, and montrachet), it is much more...delicate? less foam...
and by what i've read, strawberry can get wild, lol...

Less foam might be a good thing :) I'm using 1116 on the strawberry skeeterpee - my primary was filled to the top with foam this morning... Meanwhile the standard SP with a heater on it - is barely making an inch...

Less foam might be a good thing :) I'm using 1116 on the strawberry skeeterpee - my primary was filled to the top with foam this morning... Meanwhile the standard SP with a heater on it - is barely making an inch...

strawberry skeeter pee sounds delicious!
but ur standard is going isn't it?

Actually it is St Allie's recipe. All the fruit is in a strainer bag. Thanks for the advice Tom, this is just my second time. I have grape juice wine in the secondary now.

I'm just glad I like strong wine... LOL. Initial sg 1.092

What about the yeast is Cotes des blancs OK? Premier Cuvee? Or shall I get another?
YES I love CDB for all my fruit wines

I wouldnt say the recipe is no good! We all have our taste and I prefer much more fruit per gallon myself especially with fruits like this where much of the fruit is actually water and not very flavorful. The more flavorful the fruit he less fruit is needed per gallon like Elderberries and Black Currants. Raspberries are also pretty flavorful. Typically the smaller the berry the more flavor it will have.

Well it fermented in the primary for 5 days and I followed your advice. However it seems to have completely stopped fermenting before I added the must to the secondary. The sg is at .992 (complete rocket fuel) and almost no strawberry taste to it. You think it will improve with age (of course I will sweeten it)?

Well it fermented in the primary for 5 days and I followed your advice. However it seems to have completely stopped fermenting before I added the must to the secondary. The sg is at .992 (complete rocket fuel) and almost no strawberry taste to it. You think it will improve with age (of course I will sweeten it)?
This is what happens when you add low#'s per gal and alot of sugar.
If a recipe calls for a certain amt of sugar add only if you are checking the gravity as well. I like to say add sugar to 1.085 not how many cups/pounds of sugar. 1.092 is high for a fruit wine as the alcohol will overpower the fruit.See my post above @ trippling the #'s of fruit.

Latest posts

Back