Strawberry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what i used:

Strawberry Wine Recipe(1 Gallon)

• 6 lbs. Strawberries
• Sugar – (As needed to get to Starting SG below)
• Acid Blend – (As needed to get to Acid Reading below)
• 1 tsp. Wine Tannin
• 1/16 tsp. Potassium Metabisulfite
• 1 tsp. Yeast Nutrient
• 3/4 tsp. dry or 1/8 tsp. liquid Pectic Enzyme
• 1 pkg. Wine Yeast
• Potasium Sorbate (used when bottling if adding more sugar)

Starting SG (Specific Gravity) - 1.085 1.085 – 0.996 * 131.8 = 11.7% PA
Finish SG (Specific Gravity) – 0.996
Starting PA (Potential Alcohol) – 11.7%
Acid Reading - .60 - See special note below in step 4.

If the strawberries are fresh, lightly rinse with water and allow them to drain. Then, depit, cut in half, discard any questionable ones and chop off any unripened areas you may find and freeze the strawberries for 24 hours. After 24 hours thaw completely. Then coarsely chop them up and mash.

To make a wine making liqueur take the crushed strawberries and put them into a primary fermenter such as a food grade pail or stone crock. Then add just enough water to barely cover the strawberries. Add to this the Potassium Metabisulfite, Acid Blend and Wine Tannin as called for in the
above home wine making recipes.

Add the full amount of Pectic Enzyme as directed on the package it came in, based on the total batch size. This will allow the fruit’s pectin to be broken down faster than normal.

Do NOT add the Yeast Nutrient, Sugar or Yeast at this time.

After the 24 hour waiting period take an SG reading and if it is less than 1.085, add 1lb sugar at a time.

Dissolve the required amount of sugar in warm water.

Then add entire contents of yeast packet to about 2-3 oz of 104F - 109F water, do not stir. Set aside for no more then 15 minutes or until yeast "puffs up," or water becomes cloudy. Stir gently to suspend yeast and add to primary fermentor, stir in well and cover. Then add the yeast and yeast nutrient to the must.

Last edited:
Thanks, Getting my strawberries this evening and will start the next day..!!

Don't forget the Pectic Enzyme!
The above looks good. Also consider a f-pac and back sweetening

Yeah - i did an fpac - 2 1/2 lbs of strawberries - added sugar to SG 1.016 -i think notes are not in front of me.

Neck and back is killin' me from washing and capping 1,000+ strawberries. Thay smell great though!:i

I am guessing 62 pounds.

i did 6 pounds and i roughly had 100 strawberries - give or take a few.

Hmm..
It would be just a little more than 999 Strawberries. Now thats just guessing ! :try

87449d1220679673-funny-strange-random-pics-i-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

NOW, you would expect this answer from ME right? LOL :try

Starting sg was 1020....trying to get the hang of the formula you have to use to get a certain alcohol content. Trying to get 12.5% so the way I figured it up. I use 7lbs sugar to start and 1 lb during fermentation..???

Would you be willing to go through this with me? It talks about adding oz per gallon to "round it off". When would you add this? I just very confused about measuring for alcohol content. Thanks in advance!

Yeah - so say you have:

Brix or Balling Specific Gravity Potential Alcohol
17.0 1.0697 9.4%

and you want to get to 12% ABV - then you would add 6.1oz of sugar per gallon

Latest posts

Back