Strawberry Wine stuck, too much alcohol

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lherndo

Reaction score
It's hung up at .993(over 2 weeks with no movement.), It tastes a little sweet still, and has a nice thick body that holds on a bit to the glass, (like a nice Cab Sav)

I know it's pretty alcoholic, but for the crowd I initially planned on making this for, it should go over pretty well.

So, at what point can I just call it and move on to the Kmeta, sorbate and clearing?

Can anyone advise on how much kmeta and sorbate to use for 6 gallons? Also, I would like to use a Fpac, which I have the recipe for from elsewhere on this site. When should I do that? Thanks.

Do you really want to know! lol

Mon 4/26/10 - Starting SG = 1.145, yeast added.:sp

well... 1.145 - .993 = 0.152
0.152 x 131 = 19.91 % alcohol

U successfully made Rocket Fuel :slp

Last edited:
So what's the next step?

K Meta and Sorbate? How much for 6 gallon? And when does the clearing agent go in?

Also, what about the flavor pac

What i do is:

add k-meta and sorbate - wait about a week
add f-pac and backsweeten - wait a 2-3 weeks
rack and add clearing agent - wait 2-3 more weeks
then rack off sediment.

K Meta and Sorbate? How much for 6 gallon? And when does the clearing agent go in?
Also, what about the flavor pac

WOW!
Rocket Fuel !
That is way to high for any wine let alone strawberry.
Well I would make HUGE f-pac to help cover the alcohol.
How many pounds of strawberry did you use. This way we might be able to salvage this 4-U.
Add the meta like said above then add f0pac. then add clearing agent

Awaiting your recipe.

Ok, i went back to my records and my inital post on this website

My inital SG Was 1.145 but it was suggested that my sugar wasn't dissovled all the way. When I went back and stirred better and took another reading it was still high but it was down to 1.132. Below is my recipe and link to initial thread.

Anyways, started with 25# of thawed strawberries and 10#'s of sugar. I dissolved my sugar, yeast nutrient, crushed campden tabs, and acid blend. With strawberries an a mesh bag they're all hanging out in my primary fermenter for 24 hours before i had my yeast.

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7245&page=2

Yea way to much sugar.
Now what to do... You need to "cool" down the wine (lower the alcohol) 1st stabilize the wine (add meta and sorbate). Make a f-pac using 6-7#'s of strawberries. Simmer them in a a small amt of water till mushy. then pour thru a kitchen strainer. Simmer till you have 1 1/2qts and add to the wine. mix well. add clearing agents, wait 2-3 weeks and rack. continue till clear racking about every 3-4 weeks.

WHOAAAHHHHH ***THUD*** gonna pass out from the fumes alone!!!

:D but it wud be great as a mix tho!!! little bit of straberry daq mix and that!!! WOOT WOOT!

My inital SG Was 1.145 but it was suggested that my sugar wasn't dissovled all the way. When I went back and stirred better and took another reading it was still high but it was down to 1.132.

This doesn't seem to make sense to me. If the sugar is undisolved shouldn't this actually raise the SG once its mixed in. Maybe the whole mixture wasn't really mixed well with the 1.145 reading, leaving a separation of water and sugar - you picked up the sugarier water in the wine thief when you measured?

Latest posts

Back