Strawberry wine question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've made a couple of batches of wine and continue to get taste/issue. I am most definitly new to wine making. I have a pinot noir from a kit I bought and a strawberry wine that was made from real fruit. Both exhibit something I can't put my finger on. The Pinot Noir kind of tingles the tongue then tastes like wine but finishes with the tingling. The strawberry is a touch sweet then tingles the tongue than after a couple of seconds the goes sweet again. The thing is that the tingling is so strong you don't taste anything while it tingles the tongue. Is this an acid issue? The PH on the strawberry wine is around 3.3.

As Jon mentioned I believe you may be tasting a touch of CO2 and yes it could also be acid as well.

Take a few ounces in a beaker or a wine glass. Shake it quickly. Remove your hand and see if you have any bubbles coming off. That would mean you need to degas some more. For your acid what was the recipe you followed. Did you add any tannin, acid blend etc?

As Jon mentioned I believe you may be tasting a touch of CO2 and yes it could also be acid as well.

Take a few ounces in a beaker or a wine glass. Shake it quickly. Remove your hand and see if you have any bubbles coming off. That would mean you need to degas some more. For your acid what was the recipe you followed. Did you add any tannin, acid blend etc?

Yeah when you shake it - you will get almost like a puff or a pop when you take your hand off - that would be CO2 escaping out.

A soda feeling would be a good to way to describe the problem. Whats the best way to degas wine? I stirred the wine after adding the stabilizer and campden tablets. IS that sufficient? This was post taste testing.

A soda feeling would be a good to way to describe the problem. Whats the best way to degas wine? I stirred the wine after adding the stabilizer and campden tablets. IS that sufficient? This was post taste testing.

There are several ways - some use vacuum pumps, others use stirring methods, and others use shaking - and some use a combo - attach a vacuum pump and gently shake every so often.

And some don't - they let time take its course - if you are at a temp around 75 degree's it will degass itself over time.

I use a vacuum pump to do this - but those are expensive - you can get a medical aspirator on ebay around $150 - or you can get a stirring paddle that hooks to your drill.

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=4666
http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=4667

Last edited:
I found that my kit instructions always under estimate the time for degassing. I would double or triple the amount of stirring they suggest and make sure you don't whip too much froth with a drill, if used. I do quick bursts forward then reverse.

I would - as degassing will aid in the clarification process. CO2 will cause particles to stay suspended in the wine.

Latest posts

Back