strawberry wine issues

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osborngj

Reaction score
I started a batch of strawberry wine. I added the followin for the recipe.

14 lbs strawberries
3 gallons water
3 campden tablets
6 lbs of honey
4.5 teaspoons of acid blend
3/8 teaspoon of tannin

I add everything except the acid blend up front. Then took PH reading to add the right amount of acid.

Here is the problem. I think. I took my s.g. reading and got 1.073. Is it me or does that seem really high?

Secondly the yeast didn't take. So now I'm into day two with the start of fermentation. How do I know if the must spoiled before the start of fermentation?

1.073 is actually lower than most start. I generally shoot for 1.085 for a starting SG. Have you checked your sg now to see if it has changed any? Are you sure your yeast hasn't started fermentation? What are your current temperatures?

I started a batch of strawberry wine. I added the followin for the recipe.

14 lbs strawberries
3 gallons water
3 campden tablets
6 lbs of honey
4.5 teaspoons of acid blend
3/8 teaspoon of tannin

I add everything except the acid blend up front. Then took PH reading to add the right amount of acid.

Here is the problem. I think. I took my s.g. reading and got 1.073. Is it me or does that seem really high?

Secondly the yeast didn't take. So now I'm into day two with the start of fermentation. How do I know if the must spoiled before the start of fermentation?

I agree your SG should be >1.080 at the start. You mentioned that you add the acid blend later, yeast like a low pH. Also, did you add yeast nutrient and or yeast energizer? That might be a good idea.

See what others say, but you might consider adding acid and nutrient now. You could also add a tad more sugar. If all else fails, I would think you could add another dose of yeast.

My strawberry wine did the same thing... it was slow to start. Once it kicked off though it fermented hard for a week.

Best of luck.

Paul

Sorry I forgot to write that I did add yeast nutrient also. I'll check the S.G. again tonight to see if the if its truely started or not.

With using honey is there a calculator somewhere that will give me an idea on how much more honey to add? Should I just use surgar to add at this point?

Did you add campden tabs at same time as yeast? Re-pitch a good yeast start. Get he yeast started in a separate container and when you can smell the yeast pitch it in. I use warm apple juice, some yeast nutrients. OK, I forgot, this is the beginners section. Take 2 cups of warm apple juice, add 1/4 teaspoon yeast nutrient. Dissolve the nutrient completely and add package of yeast. The lower SG will not prevent the batch from starting. It is not to late to raise it a little. Add 2 cups sugar. Dissolve it in some water and bring it to a boil. Let temp go down to about 90 before adding it. Your recipe used honey and I will guess to did not cook it. In the future, all forms of sugar should be cooked to convert them to simple sugar. Yeast like that. Honey can be a bear to get going, always use a yeast starter when using honey. Lastly, I think you may want to add an additional 10 pounds of berries to that recipe. It is not to late and you will glad you did. BTW you can raise temp and it will do no good if the yeast was put in at same time as Campden tabs. Nothing will help but new yeast is going to help.

Last edited:
I made up the must on Saturday. Then added the yeast on sunday. So the campden tablets went in on Saturday. Should I have done that on a different time frame?

I did warm the honey up to approx. 125 F and held it there for 20 minutes. I think I read that in a previous post.

I'll add the surgar tonight.

As for adding more strawberries, I took a 6 gallon recipe and cut it in half. I'm trying to end up with 3 gallons in a carboy. So its your recommendation to add another 10lbs of strawberries?

With that being said shoudl I make a seperate must and add it to the oringinal or just add the 10 lbs straight in? Would I want to add more pectic enzyme or will the original addition be ok.

As for prep of the strawberries. We rinsed them all and then cut the ends off. Then poured boiling water over them. Is all that neccessary? If I add more now can I just rinse them and cur off the ends, or does the boiling water help extract flavor or sanitize them?

I freeze the berries to help break them down . I do that for all fruit. Boiling water will kill wild yeastso that helps. I don't know if it help extract flavor because I have never used boiling water to do anything but help thaw the frozen berries. I guess it would help. I don't know for sure. If I use boiling water I don't use Campden(aka K-Meta) just pitch yeast when must gets to about 75 degrees. It works for me but others here think I am nuts.

I find Strawberry to be finicky from the word go.
1) Adding more fruit should not hurt as long as it is not fermenting from natural yeast. Browns the wine and leaves a bad taste.
2) Yes, add more sugar. I like to start my strawberry a bit high at 1.100 to 1.105. This is just what I like to do, NOT a rule.
3) The acid added later has happened to me with no ill affects.
4) The acid added late has led me to need a new starter of yeast. No ill affect from this either.

5) The big RULE my wife just learned. NEVER have open vinegar any where near the wine unless already bottled! Anyone want 14 gallons of cherry vinegar?
(bonus to this is it makes a very good marinade.)

Latest posts

Back