strawberry wine first time not sure iwe did it right

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fotogrf

Junior
Reaction score
Ok so here is the quick run down on 5/26 we started a 6 gallon batch of wine. Here is the ingredient list we used

20 lbs of day old picked strawberries topped and cut into chunks placed in a nylon straining bag and mashed by hand in he bottom of the bucket.
approx 35 pts of water
10 lbs of sugar
5 tsp acid blend
1 1/4 tsp Tannin
2 1/2 tsp of Pectic enzyme
1 tsp nutrient
1/4 tsp of potassium metasulphite
1 pck of wine yeast

(this was a 1 gallon recipie and we multiplied everything by 5)

SG was supose to be 1.090-1.095 ours was 1.108

It ferminted violantly for several days then slowed and had almost stopped bubbling in the air lock by 6/6 due to work I did not get to rack it from the fermination bucket to the carboy and drain the nylon bag until 6/9 It has started to settle and sediment is building on the bottom but we are not sure what to do to it now as this is our first wine from fresh fruit everything else has been in a kit and had instructions. Our Gravity on 6/9 was .990 and i have no clue if this is right or not since we dont have any instructions. Any help would be apreciated or a link to some instructions, it looks beatuiful we havent tasted it yet :?

An SG of .990 means it's completely dry, and done fermenting. I usually pull the bag of fruit sooner, but I doubt you did any damage to the wine leaving it in longer. I would check the SG tomorrow, to make sure it's at .990 (it probably won't go lower). Then, just like a kit, you add K-Meta & Sorbate (if you're going to back-sweeten), then de-gas, if you want to use a clearing agent, go for it, if not, you'll need to let it sit for a few months for it to clear properly.

Peace,
Bob

20 pounds for 6 gallons will probably be weak in flavor. Usually you would use 5#'s per gallon. You can back sweeten with a concentrate to boost its flavor.

Thanks bob and steve if i add concentrate do i need to add the sorbate?

Yes. Clear the wine, rack and let it age a few months. Rack again and sweeten with concentrate plus sorbate. Do it in increments so you don't sweeten too much. Concentrates are all different in sweetness levels.

Add sulfite at each racking.

would you recomend using the bentonite to clear or just let it sit we are degassing today with a vaccum on the carboy which usually helps speed the aging in our kit wines.

I prefer Sparkolloid as opposed to Bentonite but if you don't have sparkolloid us the bentonite, just follow the directions carefully.

Sparkolloid and Bentonite are oppositely charged. One collects the positive particles (I believe it's sparkolloid that does this) and Bentonite collects the negatively charged particles.

Sparkolloid is great for reds and fruits while Bentonite works great on whites and fruits. It is said that sparkolloid can slightly alter the color of white wine but I use it on everything and never noticed a difference.

Plus I beieve sparkolloid is easier to make up.

Use your bentonite, degass and add sulfite. You'll be fine.

Latest posts

Back