strawberry wine bland

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supertramp

Junior
Reaction score
is it normal for strawberry wine to taste bland before aging. i havnt been doing this long enough to know what aging does to a wine. the same with my watermelon wine it just tasts like alcoholic water. any suggestions?

Please give us some indication of what recipe you followed. Also if you took specific gravity readings, please report those.

Steve

As Steve said a recipe would help in a diagnosis but in general a bland or flabby tasting wine could indicate an acid deficiency.

i used eight pounds of strawberies. boiled water with five pounds of sugar and poured it over the mashed berries. let it cool to room temperature and pitched the yeast. put in carboy with airlock for one week. original gravity was 1.07 current gravity is 1.00 taste is bland. do i just let it age or can i put more juice to flavour.

The strawberry wine recipe that I just looked at called for acid blend, tannin, pectic enzyme and yeast nutrient.

I believe that all will make a difference in your wine. The first two should address the bland taste.

There's a number of good recipe books & sites available. The recipe that I read was similar #4 on Jack Keller's page below. This site has a LOT (sometimes TOO MUCH) info for wine makers.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques5.asp

Steve

thanks for the recipies. will aging the wine add flavor to the wine.
iv made a lot of apple wine. the first ones were less alcoholic and more tasty. the later were more alcoholic and aweful. i just used cider from the store and added sugar to SG of 1.06 for the better tasting ones and 1.14 for the not so tasty ones. one of my problems is that even after very prudent sanitation my wine seems to give me digestive problems. any thoughts?

Strawberry wine ?s ok i have 50 pounds of strawberries mashed and seperated into four buckets, added five pound of sugar and two gallons of water to each bucket. my SG is 1.04 so i think i need to add more sugar i was thinking around SG 1.086. then leave the juice in the buckets with towels over them for 24 hours with campden tabs. then pitch the champaine yeast. should i leave in the buckets for primary fermentation or imediately airlock them in carboys. i was also thinking about adding pectic enzyme, acid blend, and i heard something about tea. whats up with that. is it just regular lipton tea? what does that do? anyway does this recipe sound like it will work? and how much will aging change the taste?

Latest posts

Back