Strawberry wine and starting SG 1.1? is this okay?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:smWhos posting these incomplete recipes? Not sure. I hope it isnt a pharmaceutical tech, that would really be scary, next time ask first before you come in here blowing your lid off.

I dont think there is anyone in here who wouldnt help you.

I still would. but take it easy Tim. have a stogie.

Geeze......

Thats only because you cant spell ARCTIC,
I cant spell that either.

You 2 kill me. You have no idea how many times I'm typing and I can't spell something. It can even be a 4 or 5 letter "english" word and it doesn't look right.

I need to party with you both.

Regardless what you end up doing to it right now.. I would look at it as something you might use to top off your next batch of strawberry with, made using a recipe from here of course.
Three to four gallons is only going to be 15 to 20 bottles so the world won't come to an end which every way you go.
And don't get discouraged,,, these guys here are really fun once you get past the first few post with them.
HANG IN THERE!

Hey Tim,
Wade, Tom and the bunch can help fix just about anything, and Troy always brings the humor. I don't have too much to tell you about this except read my strawberry thread,
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7333

It too is rocket fuel, however at somewhere around 15% it really isn't that bad. I backsweetened at the end, and now well the last time I tried it before setting it to age this is how it tasted
first fresh cut strawberry with almost no alcohol taste, then a second later came the rocket fuel taste (not that I have ever tried rocket fuel). I am wishing and praying that the two age well together and I end up with more of a strawberry daquire wine.

If you add the f-pak that will help out big time, but don't stress yourself over it, next time you will know. Don't you have to experiment in school, well just consider this one an experiment that you learned alot from. ;)

I go so southern Illinois University Edwardsville. It is in Edwardsville Illinois which is about 20 minutes east of st louis.

Thanks for all the information I do appreciate it. Troy you maybe be taking my comments out of context i am not pulling my hair out and i didn't lose any sleep over it. I mean I have some blueberry wine going right now so i want be struggling to bad.

I would like to add more strawberries to it like Mmadmike1 states but I dont have an additional carboy that big and i dont really want to go out and buy one. I will get more strawberries and do an F-Pak thanks for all your help. I will let you know how its going.

Tim

Having never made strawberry wine and being on my first batch myself. I think you should be able to salvage this with an fpac as was previously suggested. I would make sure you get enough strawberries for the fpac so that it will be very fruit forward for lack of better term in hopes that the strawberry flavoring from that will indeed make the high alcohol contact less apparent. That and aging I would hope would take care of it.

Buy a carboy, you will want it later , like next week because all the fruits and berries are now getting ripe, you might get 2. Look on craigslist

your probably right about wanting a carboy but I am already on track to do an F-pak and take my chances I guess. I bought 10#s of strawberries and destemmed and cut and have in the freezer. I think Id take your advice in the future mike. just want prepared for it and bought a 3 gallon carboy specifically for this.

Strawberry wine update

Thought I would give an update to those interested about my strawberry wine. The SG finally got down to about 1.01 (from 1.1-1.2) after about 2 weeks and transferred it to the secondary. The yeast is going strong which is encouraging i think not to strong though were its bubbling in the air lock.

Their is the start to some sediment on the bottom of the carboy. I guess my question is when should I rack it? Should I wait until its clear to rack it or do it several times throughout as I believe is suggested in relates posts on the forum?

Leave it in the secondary till it goes dry .990ish. Then I would add meta and sorbate mix well degass and then add clearing agent unless you plan on adding a f-pac.

Then get back here

Latest posts

Back