Strawberry Wine 2016

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davemo

Reaction score
I just got done mixing up my strawberry wine for 2016. It consisted of 18lbs. thawed strawberry's from some Amish folks i know of, in 3 gallons of water with 1.5 tsp pectic enzyme,3 TBS liquid tannin,1 tsp citric acid and 3/16 tsp k meta . I will let it set for 24 hrs then pitch some vintners harvest cy17 yeast(new yeast for me) along with 3 tsp of fermax yeast nutrient. Any comments or suggestions . This is my first time using a vintners harvest yeast i may switch over to them if i have good results. Havent decided how much sugar yet prolly to 15%abv

My berries are picked and in the freezer. Havn't decided what to do with them yet, guess I didn't even weigh them. Still pickin and pittin cherries. When I get done with them will probably get started fermenting things down. Arne.

Been drinking my blackberry from last yr .Its the best i have made in 5+ yrs of learning this art. I have a bumper crop of blackberries this yr so may make 5 gal instead of 1

WAY too little fruit for 3 gallons of water. If you want to make excellent strawberry wine, use no water.

I just got done mixing up my strawberry wine for 2016. It consisted of 18lbs. thawed strawberry's from some Amish folks i know of, in 3 gallons of water ...

Sounds great! 6 pounds is a good amount. There are a lot seem to think that a wine has to bowl you over and should have no water added at all. That's sorta like the 3 patties of meat on a burger crew. WHY?

The problem with that is a lot of the fruits we are talking about on the country fruit wine forum have much more flavor per pound than grapes. The water content of strawberries, blackberries, raspberries and blueberries is so much lower than the average grape.

You are on the right track - ignore the nay-sayers.

That's sorta like the 3 patties of meat on a burger crew. WHY?

The problem with that is a lot of the fruits we are talking about on the country fruit wine forum have much more flavor per pound than grapes. The water content of strawberries, blackberries, raspberries and blueberries is so much lower than the average grape.

The number of patties you put on your burger depends upon the size of the burger patties and the size of the bun, too much of either and your burger is either a bread sandwich with a little meat tossed in, or a meat sandwich with a little bread to hold it together. But in the end, it's a personal choice, and each persons right to choose.

The same is true of wine folks, it's about balance. I'm not going to get into a big disagreement about what fruits have more flavor per pound or how much water is the "right" amount for any fruit or wine, be it grape or some other fruit. We use barrels to concentrate our flavors (and to oak of course).

Consider this, the best grape wines, generally speaking, come from vines which are stressed and produce little bitty grapes, full of concentrated flavors and much less water. The yield is lower per acre, yes, and the wine more expensive. It's a significant factor in the quality of many of the wines we've been seeing from the droughted California vines over recent years (and some good winemakers too!!).

Everyone's taste is different, and you should experiment and see what you like best in terms of fruit to water ratio. Sure, see what others like if you haven't done it yet, try others wines if you have the opportunity and find out how they do it. After that, be the winemaker and make what you want, flavorful as you want, sweet as you want, oaky as you want, whatever you want.

For me, I choose to pursue concentration, I'm doing a blueberry with no water added, 10 gallons of blueberries in the freezer. I might not get 5 gallons of wine, but it doesn't matter to me, because that's what I want to do.

How many lbs of black berries do you recommend for 5 gallons. Going to also make blackberry wine.

5 pounds per gallon is enough but going to 6 pounds wouldn't necessarily be overkill IF they are wild berries and fully ripe. Domesticated - Haven't used them would be concerned if they were store bought though.

Personal preference applies of course but the wild berries I've used are usually smaller ones and 5 pounds of berries have lots of flavor. I just thoroughly crush my berries in a bag and leave them in the must until primary fermentation is over. Very little lees left in the bag after that.

Latest posts

Back