Strawberry watermelon juicy juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allison Gray

Junior
Reaction score
So I added enough sugar to strawberry watermelon juicy juice to bring it up to 14%, added yeast, and put an airlock onto it. I then put it into a cupboard. Is this process flawed in any way/ what should I expect?

What type of primary fermenter/container did you use?
What type of yeast?
How large of a volume of it are you making?
Did you sanitize everything?

Hopefully you have it in a bucket so that the foam will have room and you will have enough room to stir the must for the next 5-7 days. At this stage it doesn't need airlocking...it needs lots of oxygen. If in a bucket cover it with a clean towel...secure the towel with a string/cord tied around the bucket and towel.

If you have it in a 1-gallon jug it shouldn't be any fuller than where the side of the jug starts turning towards the neck...fill up to the top of the straight sides. Maybe it won't foam over. If you have it filled up close to the narrow neck then you may have a problem with it overflowing.

Bread yeast most likely won't ferment the sugar to a 14% ABV which may leave the wine very sweet. Wine yeasts vary in how hight of an alcohol level they can handle but there are several strains that can easily handle 14%.

Basically, you need to give a little more information regarding what you did. :)

When using the standard juice drinks from a store there is always the chance that the may change character as a result of the fermentation process. The list of ingredients on their site only says "organic flavors" but not what juices or their sources. Apple, Pear and Grape are common juices used to keep costs down Those should be stable but it's hard to tell what the end result will be.

Experiments like yours can be fun. Results are sometimes surprisingly good but ya never know until it's got a little age on it.

As long as the yeast can handle that much sugar and it has enough nutrients to do it's thing things should be good. Just follow good sanitization practices.

Oh and fermentation can create a LOT of foam so a cupboard might not be the best place for it. At least put the fermentation container in side a pan to catch any over flowing foam.

Well it should have a yeasty smell. One possible problem is that watermelon wine is one of the hardest to get to ferment before it spoils. Hard to know how much actual watermelon might be in that juice.
But I would give up just yet.

OK - just looked at that page and I see a lot issues ( Outright WRONG info) issues there. Safest bet is to go to some site other than the sites that try to oversimplify.

Wine making isn't super hard but sites like that can scare more people away from wine making than encourage. This site a several other that are dedicated to winemaking will keep you out of trouble.
You can't really get started in wine making without some basics including some basic equipment. $20.00 - $50.00 is not really going to get you very far.
Look for a basic starter kit - most come with the basic chemicals/additives you need to safely make a good wine that won't gag you or turn into vinegar is a couple of week.
I started with this kit and I've added another $250.00 of hardware like carboys and bottling supplies etc. BUT you can get started for under $100.00 and do some decent wine making especially if you have access to fresh fruits. You can even use some store bought juices like the Welchs grape concentrate. In fact my favorite wine now is Pineapple Mango and that can be done from concentrates and a bag or two of fresh frozen mango chunks.

Don't give up. Just do some more reading on this site and perhaps ones like this one. http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/index.asp

I figured it seemed too simple. I'm on my second actual batch of wine and figured it be fun to do the juice thing while I was at it. Right now working on some Dragons blood. Good to know that the juice thing isn't that easy, thank ya

Latest posts

Back