Strawberry Puree

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rattrapsc

Junior
Reaction score
All, I found this while searching internet. I don't see potassium sorbate as an ingredient, Do you think it is fermentable? The ingredients are as follows.......ngredients: Water, Strawberry Puree, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Sugar, Citric Acid, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Benzoate (Preservative), Xanthan Gum, FD&C Red No. 40, FD&C Blue No. 1
This is also a link to the product
https://slushee-usa.com/product/bar-mix-strawberry-puree/Thanks

That is just the list of ingredients to use throughout the life of the fermentation-bottling life. Potassium sorbate prevents renewed fermentation if you add sugar to sweeten the wine before bottling. It is never added during fermentation.

The only questionable items are Propylene Glycol and Sodium Benzoate, and AFAIK, they will not inhibit fermentation. I expect it will ferment, although I'd make an overnight starter to have a larger initial colony.

@Ohio Bob, I suspect you misunderstood the question. My take is that @rattrapsc meant that since sorbate is not in the ingredients, will this substance ferment.

The only questionable items are Propylene Glycol and Sodium Benzoate, and AFAIK, they will not inhibit fermentation. I expect it will ferment, although I'd make an overnight starter to have a larger initial colony.

@Ohio Bob, I suspect you misunderstood the question. My take is that @rattrapsc meant that since sorbate is not in the ingredients, will this substance ferment.

There was a duplicate thread, where I posted this about sodium benzoate:

Sodium benzoate acts similarly to potassium sorbate: What is Sodium Benzoate?

You may be able to make a starter with a LARGE colony of yeast, and get that to ferment the must. But I would just keep looking for something without it.

Latest posts

Back