Strawberry Port-Style Experiment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Nauman

Reaction score
Hi All,

Thinking of experimenting with something close to a strawberry port. I plan on starting a normal strawberry wine, and slow-feeding the sugar with EC-1118 to get it to around 18% ABV, and adding just a little red grape concentrate for port style body and color.

Just wondering if anyone has done something like this, how much RGC to use, and if I should add it during fermentation or at bottling. Starting with a one gallon batch for now.

Thanks

I'm not sure strawberry is a good candidate for something like this, it has such a subtle light flavor to start with. If I were to try it, I would go as very little extra water or Red grape concentrate as possible and as much strawberry as possible, like 10 lbs/gallon or something, maybe all fruit, no extra stuff. YMMV

I'm not sure strawberry is a good candidate for something like this, it has such a subtle light flavor to start with. If I were to try it, I would go as very little extra water or Red grape concentrate as possible and as much strawberry as possible, like 10 lbs/gallon or something, maybe all fruit, no extra stuff. YMMV
Thanks for the input.

I've been using Vintner's Best fruit bases and going heavy on the concentrate for more flavor. Plus I will add extra flavor if it's not enough (having some fun trying stuff out!), so the strawberry flavor won't be an issue.

Latest posts

Back