Strawberry Pomegranate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myrrrrr

Junior
Reaction score
Hi Everybody.

A few days ago I came home with about 30 lbs. of juicy "pick your own" strawberries. They are now cleaned and chopped and frozen.

I have always liked the idea of a strawberry pomegranate wine, so I figure now is the time. For the pomegranate I was thinking of getting about 2 gal. worth of that Pom Wonderful juice?? I've never had it but I heard it was good...but it's on the expensive side. It's ether that or the Ocean Spray version.

I was going to save about 5 lbs of the berries to use for some extra flavor later on. Im thinking of using rc212

Now I was hoping to get 4 hopefully 5 gal? I don't really want to add any water.

Any suggestions?
Pictures soon to follow

A couple years ago I made some Blueberry Pomegranate wine using Old Orchard frozen concentrate. As I recall the flavor leaned more heavily toward pomegranate than blueberry. That might be a more economical option than using pure pomegranate juice with your strawberries.

Last year I made strawberry wine using several flats of berries I bought from the grand kids for Band and Football boosters. Instead of using just the water called for in the recipe, I used Old Orchard Strawberry/Kiwi frozen concentrate mixed with water as directed on the can. Used enough sugar to get the OG to 1.080. It came out great and is all gone already.....friends and family loved it.

Sounds good. Im trying to keep the strawberry as the main taste in the wine so ill take a look at some of those frozen concentrates when by the juice. Last year I made a wine using white grape raspberry and added some fresh raspberrys in it and everyone loved it.
If i do anything, I could see using only 1 gal of pomigranite juice and a can or 2 of concentrate to help balance anything out.

Well, I am happy to say that things are going well. Here was the final recipe that I went with.

32 lbs strawberries
144 oz PomWonderful
1 G. Lallzym Ex
5 G. Booster Rouge
5 G. Opti-Red
5 Tsb Yeast Nutrient
2 Tsb Yeast Energizer
Sugar to 1.090

RC212 yeast

I ended up having to split everything between two primaries. I only have a 2 gal and a 5 gal so it seems like it's time to get something bigger.

It took 4 days to get down to 1.005 so I removed the bags and racked the next day. It came to a little over 4 Gals. I added some glass marbles to take up some of the empty space.

That was about a month ago and today I racked it off of about an inch of sediment. I took a taste and things are going in the right direction.

20150612_091303_resized_1.jpg

20150615_170300_resized_1.jpg

I am tring the strawberry concentrate, mixed with some oceanspray cran-pomegranite. should I add anything esle?

Latest posts

Back