Strawberry Jam

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy-T

Junior
Reaction score
Hi,

I am making that jam wine, it's moving along well. I moved it from the primary to a secondary last week, left 3liters of guck in the bottom of the fermentor.

I noticed soon after that there was quite a bit of guck that made it to the secondary, so I filtered it today to get out the little seeds and bits of fruit. They were hanging, not sinking, and the seeds float.

I check the s.g. but I honestly don't know how to read this thing properly it's got numbers all over it. It's bobbing at 1, so there is still sugar in there I guess. It's still bubbling a little bit, I moved it to the attic today cause it is warm up there.

I had a taste of it though, and it tastes like strawberries you notice that they are alcohilic berries, but berries all the same. Is that right? I have had lots of grape wine, never tasted like grapes though, also cherry wine, doesn't taste like cherries either. Should strawberry wine actually taste like strawberries?

THanks
Billy-T

Agreed, the hydrometer has different scales. Look for the one that starts at 0.990 and increases from there. If your hydrometer indicates 1.000 then it is about done fermenting...0.996 is about all you can expect. The bubbles are likely just entrained CO2 that will eventually work it's way out. At this point I wouldn't warm it up, in fact you should be trying to keep it at 70-75F.

The wines taste is determined by the fruit used however, they don't necessarily taste as the fruit tastes but has a unique flavor of it's own.

Hi,

I am looking at this thing, there is a scale that has 90 at the top, then 1000 below that and a thick line, below that like it starts at 10 and counts up untill 50.

If I measure on thatr scale it's 1/2 way between 10 and 1000. What does that mean for a measurement?

Thanks for the help.

Billy-T

Look a little closer. It should start out at 0.990 with small graduations (5 of them) down to the thick line that is 1.000 and the next thick line is 1.010 then 1.020,etc. down to bottom should be 1.170. So, as more alcohol is produced the hydrometer will float ever lower in the wine until it reaches 0.960+/- and at that point there will be no more sugar for the yeast to consume. You said it is between 10 and 1000 You should read this as 1.000 and 1.010. So to answer your question, it has a little way to go before it reaches .996. And most importantly BE PATIENT!

Oh I see... At the top there a 5 thin lines, then 90 on a longer baar, 5 again and 1000 on a thick bar that goes all the way around, then 5 thin ones again and 10 on a long one, this goes on with the graduations counting up till 50 lower on the meter.

So should I read below the line as 1.010 when it's on the 10?

IT's got 3 scales, density which has 50 at the bottom, then 1100 2/3 down, then 1000 near the top and 90 plus a few lines above that. It's bobbin at the 10 just below the 1000 line.

Last edited:
I don't know what you're looking at unless it is the brix scale. In either case the hydrometer I'm using the brix scale starts at "O" and goes to 40. I suggest you visit Jack Keller's site to learn how to best use and read a hydrometer.

Latest posts

Back