Strawberry Degassing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemaker_3352

Reaction score
My Strawberry wine is doing well - it has bulk storing for about a month now.

I noticed that is started degassing - i degassed earlier on - but i guess the temp has warmed up - and it is degasssing better now.

Should i add the airlock back on?

From your comment, I hope that you have been bulk-aging with a solid bung. Many of us do not use solid bungs because air pressure changes and warmer temperatures can cause problems. So yes, put an air-lock back on.

Steve

yes that is correct - i have been using a solid bung - i had degassed before - so i thought i was in the clear to use a solid bung for bulk storage.

Do you normally use an airlock for the entire duration of bulk storage?

Do you normally use an airlock for the entire duration of bulk storage?
I do, and so do many others. It's a personal choice, but I've read on the forums several times that folks have had difficulties when using a solid bung, and have switched to a bung & air-lock.

I did use a solid bung a couple of times without difficulty, but I don't anymore (translation I've got some solid bungs that I'm not using).

Steve

Typically how long can it take for a wine to degass if unassisted - letting it degass by itself?

This is day 3 and i still see the bubbles coming out.

Yes alot depends on temp and what is fermenting. Why wait? get a metal shaft degasser. Degassing will also speed up the clearing process.

I degassed my strawberry wine with my vacuum pump - ran for about 35 min at 17". This morning when i checked out my wine - it was still degassing - i could still see small bubbles coming up - is this normal? Do some wines take more degassing than others?

I added sorbate when i back sweetened - so i am almost 100% positive it is not fermenting again.

Be careful degassing with a vacuum pump. You can over degas and suck the flavor out.

Yeah - it still tasted fine - should i not use the vacuum pump anymore? Let time do the rest of the degassing?

Is it normal to still need to degas after using a vacuum pump?

So - i am wondering if i need to degas anymore - since it still appears to be degassing....

Not if i should use the pump again or let it go for a while.

Latest posts

Back