Strawberry cloudy. Should I worry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jboyles123

Junior
Reaction score
I have 5 gal of strawberry I started 6 months ago. I have racked it once already, it had cleared nicely. I racked it again tonight, added kmeta and sorbate. I then added super kleer per directions and when I added the last part it turned super cloudy. It now looks like tomato juice. It had looked so clear prior to this. I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance. I hope it doesn't strip the color away, it was nice and clear and red.

wait 24 hours...if it has not cleared..gently shake the bottle and watch if any large particles fall, if so...let it be..it will clear.
if you had a device that could measure color, it would npt measure much ...i can not see a difference in color using are not using super kleer.. i love it.

Just curious - what was the line of thinking to adding a fining agent to something that sounds like it was clearing nicely with time?

The cloudiness is probably just the finish agent distributing through the column of wine & it should go away as the finish agent falls to the bottom. I imagine, most times, wines are too cloudy already to notice the haze that the fining agents make when you use them.

The amount of time it takes, depends a lot on how much CO2 is left dissolved in the wine. Give it time..

I've heard that strawberry wine tends to drop a lot of sediment, even after it seems clear. I was just trying to see if it would help.

And as an update, it indeed has cleared up a lot over the last several days. A lot of lees are now in there, I'm surprised at how much. It's almost as clear as it was before I added finings.

The color still looks great. I think I'm going to let it sit for a few more days, then rack it off the lees and age it for a few more months.

Back