Strawberry bottling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxsteve625

Reaction score
My strawberry has been bulk aging for about 5 months. Clarified etc...If I bottle it do I still need to let it age in the bottle? Last racking it tasteted pretty good.

Fruit and white wines need around 6 months bulk aging then you may bottle. You want to be sure all the sediment is out and you have degassed it enough. After bottling wait a month before opening a bottle. Many wines will go thru a bottle shock and will taste off. You can always forego corking one bottle and drink it.

I resemble that remark!
That's what I do on all my fruit wines.

The pretty red color did not transfer to the bottles today. It is more of an amber light color and has a high Alch content. Dosent taste anything like it did when I back sweetened a month ago. I'll let it age in the bottles for 30 to 60 days and see what happens.

The taste will change. Give it time. Some of us bottle in the smaller 375ml bottles and every few months open one to sample until your wine is exquisite.

I know tha's tough if you are just getting started or only make a small amount. That's why I jumped in head first and did so much.

As Tom always says, Patience, Patience, Patience,

You'll be glad you did. :try

mxsteve,

I notice your using a "hollowed" stopper. I have only used standard ones before... do these make any difference?

I use these silicone bungs also, They are better in my opinion especially if you vacuum rack as they cant get sucked into the carboy like others have found out, some also say that the rubber ones can give a rubber flavor to the wine but I have never encountered as I still use rubber bungs for my one gallon overage jugs.

I've noticed the hard rubber bungs I have put off a stink when you spray them with starsan. for glass, the ones that are in mxsteve's pic work best. nice shape and good design. I think I got mine from FVW. I put all the hard rubber ones in storage, good riddance.

I love StarSan but be careful with it as at the wrong strenght it is very caustic. I made a little of a mess when pouring some and never cleaned it up (not diluted) and this stuff ate right through the color layer of my counter top in my wine making room. Im very lucky this was not in my kitchen or the wife would have me redoing the counter tops!

Back