Strawberry / Blueberry fiasco!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G259

Reaction score
I tried to hijack another post with this, but it did not work (dammit!), sorry but I couldn't figure out how to delete a post. It just occurred to me to edit and erase, but - 'water under the bridge', so.

I made the wine, aged it 6 mo., and was going to sweeten, then bottle. My mind shut down, and I started adding sugar like it was the start of the fermentation! I stopped when I realized it 'no,no,no,no,no'! SG = 1.035 now! I added a few bottles of water and another packet of 1118 yeast (no sorbate was added). Stopped at 1.030, so I aded more water. I racked into a 4L jug, and still have 3 gallons in the bucket, which I will put in a carboy soon. The bucket was really full, in fact I pushed the airlock down too far, and had wine in the airlock, and all over my counter. It finally got down to 1.010, then stalled. I tasted the wine - good, lighter, but foamy like soda or selzer! I stirred the bucket a lot, and shook the 4L jug a dozen or so times, to let the CO2 out.
The next day, after work, I saw a motion out of the corner of my eye, and it was the airlock bubbling 1/10 sec. or so. The next day I checked the SG - 1.002.
Here is what I think: The wine stalled at 1.030 because of high alcohol in it (due to extra sugar being added), which is why it restarted after water was added, then I think it was the CO2 that stalled it at 1.010. LOL, I guess that's why my friend says "Never throw out juice - NEVER!"

Last edited:
I tried to hijack another post with this, but it did not work (dammit!), sorry but I couldn't figure out how to delete a post. It just occurred to me to edit and erase, but - 'water under the bridge', so.

I made the wine, aged it 6 mo., and was going to sweeten, then bottle. My mind shut down, and I started adding sugar like it was the start of the fermentation! I stopped when I realized it 'no,no,no,no,no'! SG = 1.035 now! I added a few bottles of water and another packet of 1118 yeast (no sorbate was added). Stopped at 1.030, so I aded more water. I racked into a 4L jug, and still have 3 gallons in the bucket, which I will put in a carboy soon. The bucket was really full, in fact I pushed the airlock down too far, and had wine in the airlock, and all over my counter. It finally got down to 1.010, then stalled. I tasted the wine - good, lighter, but foamy like soda or selzer! I stirred the bucket a lot, and shook the 4L jug a dozen or so times, to let the CO2 out.
The next day, after work, I saw a motion out of the corner of my eye, and it was the airlock bubbling 1/10 sec. or so. The next day I checked the SG - 1.002.
Here is what I think: The wine stalled at 1.030 because of high alcohol in it (due to extra sugar being added), which is why it restarted after water was added, then I think it was the CO2 that stalled it at 1.010. LOL, I guess that's why my friend says "Never throw out juice - NEVER!"

I've made a ton of little mistakes in my wine making journey but they usually work themselves out in the end!

Yes, but I have seen a lot of 'dump' comments, and usually SOMETHING can be tried! What can you lose, time? You were going to lose it anyway, this is wine making! Lol!

If it fermented from 1.035 to 1.030, that's only an extra 0.5% ABV or so. I doubt you were that close to the yeast's tolerance of 18%, right? And the water addition would have brought it down even more. I think it must have been something else. pH maybe? Do you have a meter? At 1.002, if it is stable there for a few days, and if it's not too sweet, I would think k-meta and sorbate would keep it from restarting. I don't have the experience to know that, but others here certainly do. Hopefully they'll chime in.

I started at 1.100 (14%), and added an extra .040(?), before the water addition, but after fermenting to .995(?) Even though I used 1118, I'm thinking that it could have been an issue.
And yes, you are correct, and is why I added the water , to lower ABV.

hum ARE YOU MAKING FUN OF ME,, lol,, all my finished wines are from 1.030 to 1.040, but i was raised on sweet tea,
Dawg

I used the ABV calculator online, 1.100 +.040 = 19% ABV, so there we go.

Not making fun Dawg, you like yours, I like mine!
i was teasing, life's short, i knew you wasn't making fun of me, we got off to a bad start, but i hold no grudges, was merely trying to be funny , 90% on here don't like my sweet levels, and that is fine , to each their own, and yes how you like your wines is fine by me because we each only need to suit ourselves, some take me wrong, i like to joke, others don't, i have no intent to offend you in anyway, just merely trying to be nice, but if you prefer me not to josh around with you that is cool, like i said i have no wish to offend anyone,
Dawg

I started at 1.100 (14%), and added an extra .040(?), before the water addition, but after fermenting to .995(?) Even though I used 1118, I'm thinking that it could have been an issue.
And yes, you are correct, and is why I added the water , to lower ABV.
I used the ABV calculator online, 1.100 +.040 = 19% ABV, so there we go.
So that's my point. Before adding any sugar you were at about 14%. Then you added sugar to bring it to 1.035. Then you added water. (How much? Did you take an SG?) Then you added yeast. Your ABV is now something lower than 14%. After fermenting to 1.030 it would be about 0.5% higher, something less than 14.5%. That will not hamper EC-1118 at all. Something else stalled it at 1.030. For whatever reason, you got it to start up again. Now you could be fighting the alcohol. I figure the amount of sugar you added brought your effective starting SG up to about 1.132. A final 1.002 SG would have put you right at about 18% if you had not added any water. So you should be at something lower than that now.

All that to say that if it stays at 1.002, I think you would be safe to stabilize with k-meta and sorbate and backsweeten. You'll have a high proof almost-port-style wine... I think... haha.

No you’re not normal... you are extra sweet from all the 1.040 backsweetened Skeeter Pee you drink. 😁
why does everybody think i only make skeeter pee, it can't be that in my living room there is ten cases of skeeter pee port, behind my recliner, lets see
strawberry , blackberry, elderberry, apple, apple/pear/crabapple, blueberry, black raspberry, peach, plum, both sweet cherry & tart cherry, have done several meads and melomels, and blends of pretty much of all of these, JEEZE, all because i ran out of storage room and had to put the last 10 cases of skeeter pee port in my living room, shucks that area behind everyones recliners is just dead space, you know what KCCam,,, you're just wine profiling me, and if i had feelings they would be hurt,,,
Dawg

why does everybody think i only make skeeter pee, it can't be that in my living room there is ten cases of skeeter pee port, behind my recliner, lets see
strawberry , blackberry, elderberry, apple, apple/pear/crabapple, blueberry, black raspberry, peach, plum, both sweet cherry & tart cherry, have done several meads and melomels, and blends of pretty much of all of these, JEEZE, all because i ran out of storage room and had to put the last 10 cases of skeeter pee port in my living room, shucks that area behind everyones recliners is just dead space, you know what KCCam,,, you're just wine profiling me, and if i had feelings they would be hurt,,,
Dawg
Hahaha, yah, right. But do you make all your wines finished at 1.040 SG? It was the sweetness I was getting at. I don’t care that you drink pee, oh, that didn’t sound good, I mean Skeeter Pee, so tell me one that you backsweeten to 1.040, and I’ll edit my post. 👍

Hahaha, yah, right. But do you make all your wines finished at 1.040 SG? It was the sweetness I was getting at. I don’t care that you drink pee, oh, that didn’t sound good, I mean Skeeter Pee, so tell me one that you backsweeten to 1.040, and I’ll edit my post. 👍
no you nailed it,,,,my FSG ...yup 1.030 to 1.040,,, on all of them,,, lol
Dawg :i

Starting SG=1.090 and finished at .990 on 12/13.
Added the sugar to SG of 1.035 on 5/25.
Added 1118 on 6/17, slow ferment at an SG of 1.030.
Added 2-17 oz. bottles of water to my 4 gal. batch SG=1.026 (bucket full to 1-2" from top).
7/1 SG=1.016, 7/23 SG stuck at 1.010 for several days now.
7/28 Same SG, racked to 4L carboy, taste is good, but sweet (for me), and extremely fizzy.
7/29 Stirred the bucket, splashing it around (and on my kitchen floor) to release CO2,
and shook 4L until my arms were numb.
8/2 Bucket down to .998, 4L at 1.000.

I shook the 4L a lot to get more CO2 out, and the airlock isn't bubbling any more, the bucket is.
I tasted it, a little yeasty, but I expected that. I am disappointed that it has little body, and a bit flat.
Believe it or not, but I can't taste the alcohol, but legs are forming on my glass, so I'll assume that it's there. I will probably sweeten this, to bring out more fruit, and add acid blend and tannin.

A good example of troubleshooting and steps to recover what I would have probably tossed. Thanks!

Starting SG=1.090 and finished at .990 on 12/13.
Added the sugar to SG of 1.035 on 5/25.
Added 1118 on 6/17, slow ferment at an SG of 1.030.
Added 2-17 oz. bottles of water to my 4 gal. batch SG=1.026 (bucket full to 1-2" from top).
7/1 SG=1.016, 7/23 SG stuck at 1.010 for several days now.
7/28 Same SG, racked to 4L carboy, taste is good, but sweet (for me), and extremely fizzy.
7/29 Stirred the bucket, splashing it around (and on my kitchen floor) to release CO2,
and shook 4L until my arms were numb.
8/2 Bucket down to .998, 4L at 1.000.

I shook the 4L a lot to get more CO2 out, and the airlock isn't bubbling any more, the bucket is.
I tasted it, a little yeasty, but I expected that. I am disappointed that it has little body, and a bit flat.
Believe it or not, but I can't taste the alcohol, but legs are forming on my glass, so I'll assume that it's there. I will probably sweeten this, to bring out more fruit, and add acid blend and tannin.
Here's my expert opinion (haha) about what your alcohol concentrations were at various stages of you ferment. BTW, at then end when you say you couldn't taste alcohol, I estimate it was likely about 16.5%.

I did this strictly out of curiosity, and to satisfy myself that your troublesome fermentation was not due to high alcohol levels. I used FermCalc to work backward to an equivalent starting SG that would match the readings you took along the way. "Berry" and "Duncan & Acton" methods agreed to within 0.2% ABV. The "Balling" method is more suited to beer fermentations, I believe, and not as accurate in the range of wine ABV.
  1. When your wine was dry (0.990), before adding sugar: 13.5%.
  2. After adding sugar, because it increases volume, thus decreasing alcohol concentration: 12.7%.
  3. After fermenting, slowly, to 1.030, and getting stuck: 13.3%.
  4. After adding 34 oz of water: 12.6%.
  5. After fermenting to 1.010, and again getting stuck: 15.0%.
  6. After splitting the batch, degassing, and fermenting to 1.000 (4L): 16.4%, 0.998 (bucket): 16.7%.
  7. If ferment continues to 0.990: 17.7%
  8. I had a DB ferment to 0.988: that would put you right at 18%.
That's my 2 cents' worth. I had fun doing it. Now you get to have fun drinking it!

Thank you very much, I too use Fermcalc, but didn't have time to do the work! Another twist, since I felt that it was 'weak tasting', I added 1 qt. freezer bag (that I found) of each fruit, and I crushed it up and added it. Ferment increased, as expected, pretty good. I call this: Franken Wine - (It's Alive!)

BTW, I just added to the bucket, I plan to mix them possibly later.

Latest posts

Back