Cellar Craft Strange - Rosso Fortisimo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anodari

Reaction score
Let me know what you think.
I went through primary fermentation in 7-8 days. Racked into carboy.
* I had to top off with 2.5 bottles of wine.
* There is no indication of fermentation.

Just wondering, what was your initial and last SG reading? I suppose that fermentation could be complete but that would be really fast. You may be stuck.

Let me know what you think.
I went through primary fermentation in 7-8 days. Racked into carboy.
* I had to top off with 2.5 bottles of wine.
* There is no indication of fermentation.
Sounds very plausible to me. I've had that happen with many many kits if they are fermented at a reasonable temp (I target 74F).

The 2.5 bottle top off is a reflection of the carboy used. You probably have an Itlaian 6 USG carboy. Also may reflect the markings on your primary fermenter. Did you measure 23 litres or 6 USG yourself or accept a pre-printed marking?

Steve

Last edited:
As far the fermenting goes, time can only tell that. I have some chardonnay that I racked (to secondary ) 10 days ago, when it was at 1.000. Talk about no signs of fermenting! It actually started clearing. I had to go out if town for a wee so I didn't worry too much at the time. Sure enough, when I got back it was still clearing g and down to. 994. Just goes to show ya, let your hydrometer be your guide!

Just wondering, what was your initial and last SG reading? I suppose that fermentation could be complete but that would be really fast. You may be stuck.

it was 1.090 in begining and at the end of primary fermentation it was .995

Sounds very plausible to me. I've had that happen with many many kits if they are fermented at a reasonable temp (I target 74F).

The 2.5 bottle top off is a reflection of the carboy used. You probably have an Itlaian 6 USG carboy. Also may reflect the markings on your primary fermenter. Did you measure 23 litres or 6 USG yourself or accept a pre-printed marking?

Steve

It been hot here and the house was never lower than 76 degrees. its a 6 gal italian which i dont like. I have the primary fermetation marked at 6 gal. i have another 6 gal US carboy and I never had this issue. Ais there a difference between the two?

It been hot here and the house was never lower than 76 degrees. its a 6 gal italian which i dont like. I have the primary fermetation marked at 6 gal. i have another 6 gal US carboy and I never had this issue. Ais there a difference between the two?

Anodari, there is a difference of about a half gallon, 6.5 for the Italian and 6 for the "US" which is probably made in Mexico.

To your original question, it sounds like your fermentation is complete. I have made several batches of Rosso Fortissimo and have never been disappointed.

it was 1.090 in begining and at the end of primary fermentation it was .995

So, in summary, nothing strange here.

Fermentation is complete due to a nice warm temperature.

The additional top-off was needed due to the oversize Italian carboy. (I'm glad that I don't own any of those).

Steve

Anodari, there is a difference of about a half gallon, 6.5 for the Italian and 6 for the "US" which is probably made in Mexico.

To your original question, it sounds like your fermentation is complete. I have made several batches of Rosso Fortissimo and have never been disappointed.

Rocky, thank you. I am having hard time finding 6 gal glass carboys. I am a bit annoyd the guy sold me the 6 gal and didnt tell me that. Whats up with the italians? ah 6.5, thats close :)

Whats up with the italians? ah 6.5, thats close :)
I guess we're extra generous. 6.5 gallons is clearly better than 6. Have you ever seen a small plate of pasta? Hahaha
try to find some marbles to top up with next time or plan to use some of what you just made.

Rocky, thank you. I am having hard time finding 6 gal glass carboys. I am a bit annoyd the guy sold me the 6 gal and didnt tell me that. Whats up with the italians? ah 6.5, thats close :)
True 6 US gallon carboys have not been made in 3 or 4 years.

Steve

Latest posts

Back