Strange result.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dralarms

Overboard as usual
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I racked off my banana 07\20 into 3 carboys and all looks good. I racked off a second batch of banana 12/20, and it did this. I’m confused as to what happened to my wine in the few minutes that it was being racked. DF75B414-83ED-4EA3-8A2A-2C07A4744879.jpeg

I feel like I must offer my opinion that out of all those carboys pictured only the one on the far right is topped up enough. Even with those Headspace Eliminators on them, you are running the risk of oxidation in all of those. I use them, but only for a short time and only when topped up most of the way. They aren't a replacement for well topping up a carboy.

and please realize this is my opinion only.

I feel like I must offer my opinion that out of all those carboys pictured only the one on the far right is topped up enough. Even with those Headspace Eliminators on them, you are running the risk of oxidation in all of those. I use them, but only for a short time and only when topped up most of the way. They aren't a replacement for well topping up a carboy.

and please realize this is my opinion only.
I agree, but for a day or 3 it won’t hurt and that was just after racking. They will be put in smaller carboys this weekend.

I just started 4 gallons apple wine a 5 Gallon carboy. I was thinking that the CO2 would fill the void? This will be a relatively fast ferment, 10 - 15 days. I will NOT be waiting for it to stop prior to racking or bottling. Should I be concerned about that much headspace?

On days zero to five I would have no concern with a room temp fermentation. Yes CO2 will fill the void.

On days six to ten I would mainly be concerned about actions that you do with the wine as filtration, racking, bottling where exposure to fresh air happens.
You seem to be suggesting a ten day process, I would use a pressure rated bottle and expect lots of turbidity which eventually settles to the bottom of the bottle. I guess you are wanting a sparkling apple?
I just started 4 gallons apple wine a 5 Gallon carboy. I was thinking that the CO2 would fill the void? This will be a relatively fast ferment, 10 - 15 days. I will NOT be waiting for it to stop prior to racking or bottling. Should I be concerned about that much headspace?
and, ,,, Welcome to WineMakingTalk

Yes, I am going for a sparkling apple. And, yes, I expect some cloudiness since I am not giving it enough time to clear prior to bottling. -Thanks

Latest posts

Back