WineXpert Strange Fermentation Help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiverRat

Reaction score
I started this Luna Bianca March 3 and was thinking I would be racking into the second primary by now; however, when I open the lid, there is a thick "muddy" layer on top (see pic). I gave it a stir this morning hoping it would make its way to the bottom of the bucket, but the layer is back. My SG read 1.010 earlier today. Does this look like a natural fermentation? Would you rack now or let it settle down a bit? Anyone else experience this with the Luna? Thanks!

IMG_20170309_153113616.jpg

I don't know much but that does not look good. I am interested to hear what the more experienced folks have to say!

What riverrat didn't mention was that Luna Bianca comes with a lot of oak sawdust, which I am pretty sure is what we are seeing in the photo. I think you can rack to secondary now, seeing as you are at or below 1.010.

Thank you. I was hoping it was the oak, even though my limited experience with oak has never looked like this, but I also have never dealt with four bags of sawdust either. I feel better.

Don't stir before you rack. Nice thing is, with all that CO2 pushing the dust to the top, you can rack your wine from underneath, then leave that mess behind.

Latest posts

Back