Strange event

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kivanc

Reaction score
I checked the reading of my 5 liters of grape must yesterday. The reading was 0.991. Then I racked it into secondary. Today it keeps bubbling every 3 seconds and I can hear the fizzling sound as I get too close just like the s.g. is 1.020

Last edited:
OK, I'm going to nitpick...
If the must was stirred a couple times a day I don't think it would be supersaturated with CO2. I've had many that looked like draft beer with minimal stirring.
@Kivanc , you went from a primary with a large surface area to a carboy with a small surface area. I think it's fermenting at the same pace but it only seems like it's going crazy. Seen this many times and it shows up after about 24 hours of transferring to secondary. My vote is it's still fermenting.

@BigDaveK, from a technical POV the wine may not be super saturated with CO2, but the must/wine contains a lot of CO2, and if there is active fermentation, it's making more. I've seen natural degassing take 8 months. From that POV, @CDrew's comment is accurate.

With an SG of 0.991? While it's possible the wine is still fermenting, there is very little margin remaining. The most likely reason for the apparent activity is outgassing. I've racked "finished" wine into a carboy and had the airlock cycle insanely for 2 hours afterward.

@Kivanc, Mother Nature and Dionysus are messing with you. Don't let them know they're getting to you, else they become insufferable. All is good. :)

@BigDaveK, from a technical POV the wine may not be super saturated with CO2, but the must/wine contains a lot of CO2, and if there is active fermentation, it's making more. I've seen natural degassing take 8 months. From that POV, @CDrew's comment is accurate.
Gotta nitpick again...
A supersaturated solution has a higher concentration than is normally possible because of heat and/or vapor pressure. It may be saturated but most likely not supersaturated. I know....semantics. :)

Just to clarify things: I’ve added way much sugar (1.140 sg) into this lemon juiced and yeast nutriented water free red wine grape must solution; I put yeast starter of 15% alcohol tolerated yeast. The airlock cycling has subsided for a few days.

Thank you so much for the replies 🙂

Last edited:
Gotta nitpick again...
A supersaturated solution has a higher concentration than is normally possible because of heat and/or vapor pressure. It may be saturated but most likely not supersaturated. I know....semantics. :)

Uhh, I gotta nitpick your nitpick. "Supersaturated" means that the concentration of CO2 is greater than the equilibrium concentration given the temperature and partial pressure of CO2 in the atmosphere. Basically, if it outgasses CO2, it is supersaturated. When it stops outgassing, it is saturated. If you remove enough CO2 that it would start picking it up from the atmosphere, it is not saturated.

Uhh, I gotta nitpick your nitpick. "Supersaturated" means that the concentration of CO2 is greater than the equilibrium concentration given the temperature and partial pressure of CO2 in the atmosphere. Basically, if it outgasses CO2, it is supersaturated. When it stops outgassing, it is saturated. If you remove enough CO2 that it would start picking it up from the atmosphere, it is not saturated.
Nitpicking or not, I am just glad you guys were able to get it sorted! I always appreciate pedantry where available.

Nitpicking or not, I am just glad you guys were able to get it sorted! I always appreciate pedantry where available.

For bonus points, you could look up the etymological relationship between "pedantry" and "pedestrian." :)

I'm tempted to nitpick your nitpicking of my nitpick but for the love of all that is holy I resign.

Latest posts

Back