Strange Bubbles coming from sediment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemaker_3352

Reaction score
So i have racked my strawberry wine, added sorbate and k-meta, and degassed with a vacuum pump.

I can see a little sediment at the bottom of the carboy - and it appears that the sediment is giving off bubbles.

Can this happen - or is it something else?

Just looked at it real close - and it almost looks like they are coming from the strawberry seeds or something.

Any solid particles are where the C02 will come from first and last. Just remember that we dont want to relieve the wine of every bit of C02, just most of it. Actually removing every bit would leave the wine rather flat. There was an article on this many years ago in WineMaker Mag but have never been able to find it since.

Any solid particles are where the C02 will come from first and last. Just remember that we dont want to relieve the wine of every bit of C02, just most of it. Actually removing every bit would leave the wine rather flat. There was an article on this many years ago in WineMaker Mag but have never been able to find it since.

So just let it go for now? I have degassed it - i just racked last week. Should i add a fining agent and rack in a week?

When using a fining agent you shoulod give it more like 2 - 2 1/2 weeks which will let it compact more. You could adbace to the next stop if you so desire.

When using a fining agent you shoulod give it more like 2 - 2 1/2 weeks which will let it compact more. You could adbace to the next stop if you so desire.

Thanks - since i just racked - i might let it go for another week or two - then rack it off the sediment that is there and add my fining agent.

Since i am racking fairly close together - do i need to add more k-meta? I added 1/16 tsp the last time i racked on 6-16. (This is for only 1 gallon)

I am getting a little concerned because my Strawberry wine is still releasing tiny bubbles. I have degassed this very thoroughly a few times - is it possible that MLF could be occuring? I have read that for Strawberry wine that is not real likely since there is like 0.1% malic acid.

It is either that or it is still degassing - could there be that much CO2 in it?

I also used k-meta and sorbate when i backsweetened my wine.

Definitely not a pro when it comes to wine making, but I am an engineer...

The size of the bubbles you have described, and where they are coming from point to there being a gas in solution (CO2 still in the wine). The seeds are acting as nucleation points, whereby the tiny fibers on the seeds give a place for the gas to collect and then rise out of solution. This is similar to putting your finger in a glass of carbonated soda, the bubbles collect on the tiny hairs on your finger.

But again, not a wine pro, just offering an explanation to what some have described above.

-Justin

What temps diod you degas your wine at and ho long did you age this in carboy? Sounds to me like C02 though and that doesnt mean it still needs degassing. You want some C02 in your wine as if you removed evry bit it would render your wine very flat as in very tasteless.

What temps diod you degas your wine at and ho long did you age this in carboy? Sounds to me like C02 though and that doesnt mean it still needs degassing. You want some C02 in your wine as if you removed evry bit it would render your wine very flat as in very tasteless.

I degassed at 73 degrees - i did it 3 days in a row at 18" for about 10-15 min each time.

Should i just let it go or rack off the sediment that is there now and add a fining agent?

It has been in the carboy for about 2 months now.

Get it off the sediment now and just doing that will rid your wine of whatever C02 is left.

Latest posts

Back