straining fruit wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDL

Reaction score
Just wanted to see what others would do. I was bottling my blueberry shiraz and had everything to start a strawberry chocolate port wine and wanted to start it since everything was sanitized already.

I did not have a fermentation bag though so I just dumped the 15 lbs of crushed strawberriesin and decided I will strain it later. Anyone have any known methods that work for straining the fruit out when fermentation is done?

I have a large strainer and was going to put two layers of cheese cloth on it and just strain it through and then put it in another bucket and let it finnish fermenting before I siphon it out to the carboy.

Any advice would be great...

Thanks,
Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Welcome to the forum.

First.... I would resanatize to start

Second.... I would just get a strainer bag before fermentation is done, just use a lattle, or large spoon, or something to get the fruit out and into the bag so you can squeeze it out.

Thats how I would do it if it were mine, thats how I think you would get the most out of it. Maybe someone else will have different advise.

I just noticed your fruit is "crushed", not cut. That may be different. I have a big strainer that people use for Beer making. I guess your idea would be really similar, and would probably work fine. And of course, most the sedimate will be racked off anyways.

Go to a good paint store or home ctr. Get 5 gal Paint straining bags. Use them for all your fruit wines. No reason to crush the fruit. just make sure you use PECTIC ENZYME.

Jeff said:
I have a large strainer and was going to put two layers of cheese cloth on it and just strain it through and then put it in another bucket and let it finnish fermenting before I siphon it out to the carboy.

Any advice would be great...

Thanks,
Jeff

Easiest way and will not hurt the wine - go for it!
The paint strainer bags tepe suggested work well and will help you in the future just keep a few on hand.
VC

Latest posts

Back