Straining Bags

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I started this hobby, my kids thought I had really gone "over the edge." I think they were looking for some place to have me committed. If they ever find out that I'm filling my panty hose and making wine with it, I'll be a goner for sure !
smiley36.gif
Please don't let 'em find out !

LOL I'm not sure you're ever done with it after you make your first batch of wine!
smiley17.gif

I trade my painter a bottle of wine for 25 bags one day I've been just tossing them away after use. Never thought to clean one. By the Nice Jacket, Country Vines

Edited by: Angell Wine

bmit will be hard to make wine with that coat on...lol.. I also use paint bags... $1 at Sherwin Williams. Toss when done.... Washing them is way to much work....

I also use the paint strainer bags, you can get them big enough to fit a five gallon bucket and they are very inexpensive. Like some others said I turn them inside out and rinse then throw in the washer.
After a couple of uses I usually just replace them.

Thank you for the great info, I'm going to get myself a paint strainer bag.
I currently have a very nice apricot wine bubbling away!

Thank you for the great info, I'm going to get myself a paint strainer bag.
I currently have a very nice apricot wine bubbling away!

This is the first racking I've done, I used the paint strainer bags as suggested.
I was able to remove the bulk of the pulp.
Lesson learned!
I tried to up load a picture of my bag full of pulp, but the server couldn't handle the size of the photo.

Thank you again for the great suggestion, I'm happy

This is the first racking I've done, I used the paint strainer bags as suggested.
I was able to remove the bulk of the pulp.
Lesson learned!
I tried to up load a picture of my bag full of pulp, but the server couldn't handle the size of the photo.

Thank you again for the great suggestion, I'm happy
Hey Byron, so the paint strainer worked well for you, eh? I'll have to check them out the next time I'm in a hardware store.

Regarding the image size. Some websites restrict images below a certain size for a number of reasons. One being really big images take up lots of server hdd space. Second reason is that large files can take forever for a user to load on a slow internet connection. And thirdly, A large image can cause the screen to expand horizontally causing the users to have to scroll to right to see the right-side of the image, but it can also reformat all the rest of the messages extending the text to the right side and, again, making the users scroll to simply read other posts.

I don't know what operating system you are using nor what type of device. On my Win7 computer I use a little utility called "Image Resizer for Windows". It is a utility/option when I right-click on an image. Has several standard sizes to resize to or the option to create your own size. Nice little on-the-fly resizer. I'm not sure about the download link here, but the description is good: How to use Image Resizer for Windows . If you decide you might want to try it you might want to go to one of the regular download sites to download it. FWIW. :)

Generally I rinse them well in the house once I get the bulk of the pulp out. If there is stubborn pulp you can hang it outside to dry then shake off or pick off the bits that remain. Blueberries are notorious for their fine seeds that find their way through any mesh bag. But again I actually rinse, then wash and hang them to dry and most times the flapping around in the breeze knocks off most the those little seeds. sanitize before use and good to go.

Generally I rinse them well in the house once I get the bulk of the pulp out. If there is stubborn pulp you can hang it outside to dry then shake off or pick off the bits that remain. Blueberries are notorious for their fine seeds that find their way through any mesh bag. But again I actually rinse, then wash and hang them to dry and most times the flapping around in the breeze knocks off most the those little seeds. sanitize before use and good to go.
Really?
I would never use paint straining bags to make wine I'm going to drink.

Do you drink commercial wine? Do you know what is sprayed on, crushed with the grapes? Do you know that the cellar rats climb into the fermenters to clean them out (not to mention what falls in the fermenter when punching the cap or during racking ... people, phones, hats, glasses...)? Sanitizing works and fermentation kills the stray germ.

Do you drink commercial wine? Do you know what is sprayed on, crushed with the grapes? Do you know that the cellar rats climb into the fermenters to clean them out (not to mention what falls in the fermenter when punching the cap or during racking ... people, phones, hats, glasses...)? Sanitizing works and fermentation kills the stray germ.
Okay, I heard horror stories like that, but some of us are not commercial winemakers and we are in full control of what comes in contact with the wine we make.

After all, we are the ones who drink our wine, together with our families and friends.

Certainly anyone can choose to do whatever they want, as far as myself, I will still stay away from NON FOOD GRADE EQUIPMENT.

Latest posts

Back