strain thru a cheesecloth?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sholomy

Reaction score
my wine is fermenting now pressed it in a basket press some skins seeds maybe some bugs got in will it settle to the bottom or is straining common practice?

If it is in the primary, just remove it the next time you stir your must.

I have spigots on all of my fermenters. If I am transferring to a carboy through the spigot, I put a large funnel in the carboy and a kitchen strainer in the funnel and run the wine through the strainer into the funnel into the carboy. This tends to catch any parts of skins or seed. If you try it, don't forget to sanitize everything with k-meta.

I have spigots on all of my fermenters. If I am transferring to a carboy through the spigot, I put a large funnel in the carboy and a kitchen strainer in the funnel and run the wine through the strainer into the funnel into the carboy. This tends to catch any parts of skins or seed. If you try it, don't forget to sanitize everything with k-meta.

Rocky - are you not concerned about oxidation? Seems like a lot of splashing? Or is it not a lot in practice?

i cant remove it since im fermenting in a narrow neck carboy. im hoping it just sinks but if it wont then ill use a strainer

Rocky - are you not concerned about oxidation? Seems like a lot of splashing? Or is it not a lot in practice?

Good question, WIW. I usually rack at SG 1.020 so there is still significant fermentation occurring. Because of this, I am not overly concerned with oxidation as there is still a lot of CO2 escaping.

Ah, I usually ferment to dry then rack to secondary. Really all depends on the other life activities going on.

as im pushing the cap on one of my carboys im noticing a ton of tiny white wormy creatures, not sure what theyre called, come up onto the side of the glass. should i worry?

as im pushing the cap on one of my carboys im noticing a ton of tiny white wormy creatures, not sure what theyre called, come up onto the side of the glass. should i worry?

Sholomy, could you post a picture of this. I have no idea what it could be but I cannot think of a scenario where it is good.

i would post a picture but right now the only camera i have is my old blackberry phone and a picture from this phone wont help. i think maybe i was being paranoid since i saw a small worm while crushing and thats not unusual i think but theres a bit of this stuff which i thought were these tiny worms but on closer inspection realy just look like pulp in orange juice. this wine is from the dechaunac grape. its a few days removed from press and still in the primary fermentation it is a juice though not a must. can u get orange juice like pulp from grapes?

i made a mistake its from the marechal foch. anybody experience this before?

in case anybody is curious this pulp like substance just settled with any seeds or skins as the fermentation slowed. i racked and the wine looks good. i didnt need to strain.

Latest posts

Back