Straight from Central Ohio

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimyson

Reaction score
Just wanted to stop in here and say hello. I am a member of HomeBrewTalk and brew 10g batches of beer (all-grain) and decided to take the plunge to getting my hand at some wine. Ordered my first kit (WE Argentinian Malbec w/ Grapes) today and am looking forward to having a go. Just a first step but hoping to learn all that I have on the other side to produce some wonderful drink. Wish me luck.

Anyway, talk to you all soon!

Welcome from another Ohio boy and good luck with your kit. The kit is where it all started for me last January. Turned out great.

Will

Hey Jimyson, welcome to the forum. I live in Powell and there are a lot of us in the Buckeye State on the forum. Good luck with your wines.

Thanks all. I'm pretty excited to get a batch of wine under my belt.

Rocky- in that case, Go Bucks! Yep, I live eastbound in Westerville. I've been meaning to stop over your way into Kraft House No 5 for some brews. After all, beer is my true passion.

Welcome aboard! And I just finished off a bottle of that very same WE Malbec, and found it delightful.

Thanks for chiming in. I read your original thread and your "what are you drinking" post as well. I am going to use the same year as you did and make a quick starter. Do you have any other tips/notes that you can share on it? I realize it's a kit but I'm always one to break it down a bit.

Welcome !!
Please if you have any questions please ask as there are alot of resources here !!

Welcome !!
Please if you have any questions please ask as there are alot of resources here !!

Thanks and I'm sure I will. Although I went straight into all-grain with beer, I decided it be best this go around to start off with a kit, deconstruct it a bit, and go from there. I'm sure I will be digging into posts and asking questions around PH, kegging, water chemistry, yeast, etc.

Good to have you on board.
Your first wine is the hardest ~~ not the making of it but the waiting after you bottle, a year or two is a long time without an aging cellar to turn to.

Good to have you on board.
Your first wine is the hardest ~~ not the making of it but the waiting after you bottle, a year or two is a long time without an aging cellar to turn to.

I think I can handle it. I have a Barleywine on tap that I aged for a year. Plus I have plenty of beer to keep me occupied!

Thanks for chiming in. I read your original thread and your "what are you drinking" post as well. I am going to use the same year as you did and make a quick starter. Do you have any other tips/notes that you can share on it? I realize it's a kit but I'm always one to break it down a bit.

I did two tweaks: I used RP15 yeast, and I added about 6 g of FT Tannin Rouge to primary. I have not done this kit without those tweaks, so I cannot tell you what difference they made!

I did two tweaks: I used RP15 yeast, and I added about 6 g of FT Tannin Rouge to primary. I have not done this kit without those tweaks, so I cannot tell you what difference they made!

Cool. So I have the yeast in order from the LHBS. Now time to read about the TR.

I think I may be leaning towards the FT Rouge SOFT. I am thinking keeping it minimal at this point in my journey while still gaining some of the benefits of color, body, etc. Also, in the small amount of reading so far on these two tannins, I would prefer to render something that promotes so slightly. I feel the various places that provide description of the FT Rouge indicate likewise.

Welcome fellow buckeye. I'm new here also.
Beer is my primary fermenting passion too - (pun intended) :O)

Back