Storing your bottles, on the side or upright.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
O'Fallon, MO - Just NorthWest of St. Louis, MO
That’s interesting... but would take a lot more space. When a cork breaks when I am pulling it (in a commercial bottle), it always seems dry. But maybe there was too much headspace in the bottle. Who knows how it was kept.
And you’re right, that translation was very good, I hardly noticed.

I would have thought that the idea behind storing bottles on their side was to ensure that the neck is filled with wine and so the cork is wet. That moisture would - I would assume - help prevent the egress of air INTO the bottle if the cork was dry and the "space" between the cork and the glass was not filled with anything but air. What is the "good sense" suggested for storing bottles upright?

As measurement methods improve with technology, researchers keep writing and rewriting some interesting papers. I saw another study from the AWRI also indicating lower oxygen transfer rates with vertical storage for some types of closures; this study indicated the natural cork out performed the saran/tin screw cap in vertical storage. At this point I can only sit back and let the researchers argue, I'm not ripping out my racks any time soon.

Attachments

• Closure_OTR-Diurnal-Cycling.pdf
    736.6 KB · Views: 8
Interesting. Why would there be a greater loss of wine if the wine is stored on its side than standing upright? Because of leakage through the cork? But my wine corks suggest that the wine does not enter the cork more than about a quarter of an inch or so...

PORT! Talking to the Rep on the Port stand at the Wine Show in London UK. some years back, he was adamant that for normal - whatever that is- storage of Port wine, standing upright was the best way to keep it. He said that the higher ABV of Port attacks the cork. When I questioned him about laying Vintage Port on its side, he laughed and said " That is for Port that is being kept for years, and they do that to stop the cork drying out. Normal Port drinkers, finish a bottle before it deteriorates." :slp

Interesting. Why would there be a greater loss of wine if the wine is stored on its side than standing upright? Because of leakage through the cork? But my wine corks suggest that the wine does not enter the cork more than about a quarter of an inch or so...
Evaporation even though the wine is visible only for the first quarter of an inch or so

The "article" has no references. Despite making claims like:

Traditionell werden die Weinflaschen liegend gelagert. Allerdings haben zahlreiche Untersuchungen in den letzten Jahren gezeigt, dass eine stehende Lagerung deutliche Vorteile hat.

or in English

Traditionally, the wine bottles are stored horizontally. However, numerous studies in recent years have shown that standing storage has clear advantages.

Really? What studies? Where? In what objective journal? Why not reference them if they exist? Were there any contradictory studies showing the opposite? I would love to read such journal articles. To get more real facts. But, they are not referenced.... What a pity.

In short, without actual references this web page means little. Without references, it seems yet another opinion, avoiding risking an actual intellectual debate with facts. As anyone can say anything without a reference and make its sound "official". And some people might believe it.

Side note: the two links at the bottom of the page go to 404 page not found errors. Kind of says it all.

Last edited:
Back