Storing Wine in Cartons Rather than Glass Bottles?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recently read in the "Economist" that some winemakers are turning to cartons to store their wine rather than bottles. Even though some argue that cartons can allow oxidation to occur, new studies are showing that keeping wine in cartons can actually soak up chemicals that can destroy the taste of wine in others ways. A team at Brock University in Canada conducted a study and found that keeping wine in cartons actually reduced the amount of the chemicals alkyl-methoxypyrazines that can "make wines taste as though the fruit from which they were made was under-ripe or low-quality" as opposed to simply storing them in glass bottles.

Would you ever consider this method?

Definately not.

Buying cartons to store wine in, is just more expense as far as I can see.Are they recyclable? I recycle as much as possible, so will stick with my glass storage system.

Allie

I'd never do it either. Glass is inert, and that's good for the wine and traditional.

I never bought those plastic Miller bottled beers either, and I won't even marinate with Franzia boxed wine, let alone put my own precious nectar in something non-glass.

Heck, I won't even buy a Better Bottle!

Man, how romantic is that! Anyone got box cutter I have to open some wine!:)

Hey there's a time and a place for box wine...I mean the moment my 'now' ex bought a box wine I knew that it was only a matter of time before we were through. Not to mention I take box wine to the parties of people I sorta know and like thus making sure I won't be wasting good glass bottles on them.

But I agree, I would not switch from glass.

WSG

Plastic vs glass

Well - I have no choice but to use the plastic water jugs (5 gallons) or my carboys as i have no access to glass carboys. Early on I thought the plastic was the source of my wine acidity, but turns out it was the water (cleaners used when recycled). Now that I am using my filtered rainwater system for water, it's all good. I can't see any problems, but then I may not know any better :)

Hey there's a time and a place for box wine...I mean the moment my 'now' ex bought a box wine I knew that it was only a matter of time before we were through. Not to mention I take box wine to the parties of people I sorta know and like thus making sure I won't be wasting good glass bottles on them.

But I agree, I would not switch from glass.

WSG
Was he aware that you were a wine maker before he commited such a travisty?? If so I would of dropped him like a hot potato lol.:h
A friend of mine buys boxed wine and we give him a hard time about it! It is cheap and he likes it so what ever?! I say slice open a box for me too!!:r

Better bottles??? They are cheap and nonbreakable. But plastic!! I have been tempted a couple times to buy but have resisted. Jon uses water bottles for secondaries but not for long term aging. Anyone else use better bottles? Happy with them?
Old fashioned Steve

Steve:

I've used Better Bottles for a couple of short term wines. For example, a mist kit goes primary to Better Bottle to glass carboy when the flavouring blend is added. I've also used them for kits that I am bottling as early drinkers. Haven't noticed any problems yet.

Cartons? All my wines are stored in cartons. I bottle in glass bottles and store the bottles in carboard boxes. Doesn't everybody????

Steve

I'm using plastic water bottles to age my apple wine in.. they've been in there 2 months now and well cleared.. started shifting it into wine bottles over the past week. Haven't noticed any change in taste due to being in plastic. I didn't really have any choice.. the glut of apples had to be used up and 23 litre glass carboys are $75 to buy, the 15 litre water bottles were .85 cents each.

Allie

Latest posts

Back