Storing Super Jet Filters

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAwinedude

Seed Separator
Reaction score
I used my super jet to filter my CRP and was curious how to properly store the used filters?

I rinsed them and dried them.....is it ok to place them in a plastic bag?

thoughts?

Merry Christmas

Corey

Personally I would 'store' them in the garbage can. I don't think it is good to re-use filter pads.

Steve

Am I missing someething??? George says he used the same filter pads on mutiple batches of wine....basically, he used them until the pressure reached 18 to 20 psi

What are the negatives to reusing these pads

thanks

I will filter several batches of wine to stretch the filters- but they are a different kind- and I am going right from one carboy to the next. If they are good and clean I can just keep going until done. I tried throughly rinsing one and storing it in a plastic bag, but just didn't dare use it again the next time. I guess you could make sure to run k-meta solution through it and let it sit a while, but I haven't dared to try it yet.

PAwinedude said:
Am I missing someething??? George says he used the same filter pads on mutiple batches of wine....basically, he used them until the pressure reached 18 to 20 psi

What are the negatives to reusing these pads
When I ran a Ferment on Premises I would run as many batches of wine through one set of pads as were available/possible. But I did them one after the other, and was careful about the order. Whites first, then reds.

Negatives? Bacterial growth.

Steve

I would agree with Appleman! He is very experienced and has done lots of wine!! If he doesn't dare try it, I wouldn't.

SuperJet filters, or any frame based filter system are not meant for re-use. You wait until you have enough wines to filter, then do like Steve did in his Vint-on-Premise.

If you are only going to do small batches, you'd be much better suited a mini-jet. Still one time use filters, but meant for 6 to 12 gallons at a time.

Latest posts

Back