Storing sanitized equipment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like Green Mountains, I have been storing my equipment in a bucket of solution. Does anyone know if this will shorten the life of plastic items? (eg. thief, siphons, etc.)

Also, I was worried that the residual k-meta solution on my hydrometer, spoons and other items coming into contact with my wine would sulfite it too much. I'm using an approximately 37.5 ppt strength solution (150 mg dissolved in 4 litres, as the instructions on the package suggested). Is this too high a strength? At this strength, do I have to worry about over-sulfiting?

I hate being new. Wish I knew everything! (I know, patience, patience)

I agree with most above.

I also take the approach that you should clean and sanitize before you use equipment. Storing in pastic bags, IMHO, is one of the worst things you can do. This could open the door to mildew or mold growth.

I simply rinse my equipment a couple of times, the store it on shelves, hooks, etc. I try to get each piece as dry as possible.

When I am about to use the item, I give it a quick mist (I used a WINDEX type of pump sprayer) of k-meta solution to sanitize the surfaces, or a squirt bottle to rinse the hard to reach places.

johnT

Since I have not tried all the other fruit wines or kits I have some idle time between rackings and clean my equipment after each use then let drain dry and store in a large plastic tub with a cap that locks on, from Target or Wally world. I also keep all my chemicals in a smaller tub that I store in the larger one, except yeast. When I use anything I run it thru the cleaner again or sanitizer and have not had a problem. My empty carboys I wrap aluminum foil around the top for storage and before using put in a solution of kmeta and rinse. I know, I shouldn't have any empty ones but money is tight and good fresh fruit is scarce here except what is in the freezer.
Have 6 gals of blackberry, 5 gals of apple, 5 gals of cranberry all bulk aging and the blackberry (oldest) will be 1 year next March. Ice fishing should be starting soon so just skeeter pee in primary now.

I also take the approach that you should clean and sanitize before you use equipment. Storing in plastic bags, IMHO, is one of the worst things you can do. This could open the door to mildew or mold growth. johnT

AMEN! I just tossed out a $50.00 filter cartridge stored in plastic that was covered in mold. I had cleaned, sanitized it and let it set out for a few days but storing in in the plastic bag it came in and in the box spelled disaster. I hope someone else will learn from my ignorance. :(

I have a giant corkador :)

I bought a big tupperware bucket and have a 2g bucket inside with a small jar of kmeta and my corks + small stuff (bungs, airlocks, etc). I also keep my syphons, etc in the tupperware with another jar of solution just in case what's in the bucket can't escape.

Warning it you do this: never put anything metal in there. It will corrode, kmeta is powerful stuff. All of the rubber/plastic seems to take the kmeta ok so far.

Latest posts

Back