storing k-metabisulfite in spring water (milk) jugs?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steviepointer

Reaction score
Is it ok to store a 1gal solution of k-metabisulfite in the gallon jugs that spring water comes in?

I don't have a 1gal glass jug, and just want to be sure there won't be any problems if I mix it up, and store it for a few months in a plastic spring water (milk) jug.

Thanks!

I mix it up in Wally World gallon jugs of Distilled water ... without a problem ... for months on end.

I use distilled water because my tap water seems to have minerals and chemicals that seem to slow the K-meta solution strength. It's strange. I can mix up a gallon of distilled water k-meta and you almost immediately smell that familar k-meta smell. If I mix up an empty gallon of tap water with k-meta, it can take a week or so to start off-gassing that familar k-meta smell.

I think some of these jugs are weaker then others cause I had 2 in a row that deteriorated in 2 months time each springing small leaks at the bottom so I keep mine in glass jugs.

I switched over to glass from plastic also for the same reason. CBW why did you choose distilled over spring water for cleaning? I understand using distilled water when making kits is a bad idea. I also buy water from Wally World but only buy Spring water for the wine. I use tap water for cleaning and sanitizing. :sm

CBW< ill have to try that test out for myself as Ive seen that solution take a long time as you described. huh!

A couple of years ago, we seemed to have a bunch of weak plastic water jugs from Wally World that seem to leak after a while (even with just water in them). We haven't had any leakers recently ... I'm thinking Wally World changed suppliers.

We switched from tap water to distilled water because we seemed to have a delayed response (suspension? mixing? offgasing) when mixing up a gallon of tap water with k-meta in sanitizing strength. Our tap water is full of chemicals and minerals.

No real science behind our switch (and your experience may vary) but it seems that k-meta mixed with Wally World distilled water seems to off-gas faster than mixing k-meta with tap water. We've had tap water mixture take close to a week before smelling that familar k-meta smell we all know and love.

(We already used Wally World distilled water to mix up Star San, as recommended by the Star San manufacturer in three gallon food safe old frosting buckets from our local donut shop).

Last edited:
Well I gotta tell you I agree with the Kmeta taking off with my water. It also takes several weeks. Next time I am up there I am going to pick up a bottle of spring and a bottle of distilled water and mix up both of them with kmeta and see what happens. Wonder if its the distilled water that does it or is it my well water. Stay tuned...

Well I'm a winemaker, not a chemist.

I know my tap water has flouride, chlorine and chemicals in it. I don't know if the k-meta, mixed in santizing strength has to first overcome what's in my tap water before starting to outgas (my seat-of-my-pants measurement of 'just right' levels) ... but it just seems that distilled water starts outgassing sooner. Tap water will eventually get there ... I just feel better after sniffing the strong scent of k-meta, mixed to santizing strength.

I know that the Star San folks say that Star San should be mixed with distilled water to sanitizing strength for best results ... and we've always done that to keep a container full of Star San for quick dipping.

I store my k-meta in gallon milk jugs. Have not had any problems.

I mix it up in Wally World gallon jugs of Distilled water ... without a problem ... for months on end.

I use distilled water because my tap water seems to have minerals and chemicals that seem to slow the K-meta solution strength. It's strange. I can mix up a gallon of distilled water k-meta and you almost immediately smell that familar k-meta smell. If I mix up an empty gallon of tap water with k-meta, it can take a week or so to start off-gassing that familar k-meta smell.

The difference is because of the pH of the water you are using .

The pH of tap water is around 8 ( Alkaline ) , but the pH of distilled water is in the range of 5-7 ( Acidic ) .

As a rule , Acidifying the solution of K-meta leads to strong emission of SO2 .

Hector

Thanks Hector, that makes sense with then citric acid additions recommended to add.

Thanks Hector ... now I know why my "nose" was telling me that mixing k-meta in distilled water seemed to work faster than mixing with tap water!

Like I said, we already bought distilled water to mix up Star San (as recommended by the manufacturer) ... so we just kinda started using distilled water with k-meta!

Good to know the science behind it!

Back