Quantcast

Storing in old wooden wine cases?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

FlatVintner

Junior
Reaction score
I live in a flat and am quite likely to move a bit over the next few years, to avoid the need to disassemble wine racks and then find temporary transport containers for bottles I have been thinking about using 6 or 12 bottle wooden cases.

I am thinking that the cases will mean I can store the wine perfectly easily but transport it far more easily if required.

Does anyone else do this and if not am I missing a good reason not to? I know old cases are more expensive than racks but a bit a searching on Ebay does show some at not unreasonable prices.

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Reaction score
Well, I do not do that, but I think it is a fantastic idea! As long as you have the dosh. I think it would look very nice.

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
stacking weight would be my only concern. are wooden cases durable enough to stack cases? otherwise great idea

FlatVintner

Junior
Reaction score
Great, thanks for the reply all, that helped reassure me that there wasn't an obvious problem.

Salcoco, I agree about the stacking although I wouldn't anticipate stacking more than one on top of the other, the other advantage of cases vs racks is that I can put the cases under other (lighter) bits and pieces that I need to be able to get out the the store room.

Latest posts