Storing grapes for later.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwhill40

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have single vines of several different varieties that will obviously ripen at different times. So I may just make a vineyard blend so they don't go to waste. What is the preferred methods for storing grapes of different varieties that ripen at different times?

Thanks,

I have been doing that for the last 3 years. Field blend of three different cold hardy hybrids that only amount to ~3 gallons of finished wine. This year may get 2-3X that but will have to see what happens between now and harvest. I have been storing mine in a spare fridge in the garage for the week to 10 ten days it takes for them to ripen seperately. So far has worked out very well.

Yes, what Mike said.

If you need to store longer, I would suggest destemming, crushing and then freezing them.

Freezing grapes as with other fruits will help to open up the membrane holding the sugars. This allows for an easier fermentation. Freeze now and start your must at your convenience.

Thanks for the replies, I know muscadines do well being frozen whole and processed later. Due to my time constraints I guess I'll have to freeze. Anyone ever freeze wine grapes whole?

Of course, I'm not entering a contest. I'll be making practice hooch anyway. I have other grapes to work on the finer points.

Thanks for the replies, I know muscadines do well being frozen whole and processed later. Due to my time constraints I guess I'll have to freeze. Anyone ever freeze wine grapes whole?

Of course, I'm not entering a contest. I'll be making practice hooch anyway. I have other grapes to work on the finer points.

What recipe do you use for muscadine wine? I will be making my first of that kind this season, and have seen many recipes, but I would like to know someone who has made the recipe!! Thanks in advance. GaBoy

I freeze mine whole if I have or can borrow freezer space. If I picked enough for a batch of wine today, I'd freeze them and make the wine next week. What I'm saying is not that I might be forced to freeze them, but the first choice would be to freeze them.

Hello Gaboy,
I've always made the typical mash the fruit, add sugar and water, yeast, strain and drink. My Sis made a decent batch last year by using elderberries for color and body.

Quite honestly I'm of the opinion juicing them and making muscadine juice for breakfast is the best way to go. It really is difficult to get much flavor and body out of the peeling. I'm sure someone out there is much more knowledgeable than I on muscadine recipes.

I have a field blend of muscadine and elderberry in a 6 gallon carboy now. Previously I've made separate muscadine and elderberry wines and blended them. This stuff is going to be dark. I decided to do the field blend (combining the fruits in the must from the start) because muscadines sometimes need acid reduction and elderberries are low in acid. I'm letting them adjust each others' ph.
Gaboy, I'm away from home until Tuesday or so. When I get back, I'll send you something. If you don't hear from me in a week, send me a pm.

Latest posts

Back