Store picked grapes on the way home

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemaker_3352

Reaction score
I am going to pick 270 #'s of Chardonel grapes in the morning about 9:30 AM. On the way home was going to stop by the sate park to have lunch and let the kids play in the creek for a bit.

Will the grapes be alright? Is there anything i need to do?

We will not be there very long - hour tops - and they will be in 18 gallon totes.

As long as they are cool and out of the sunlight you should be fine for that short time. Throw a blanket over them to maintain temps. Keep the windows closed or you'll have a zillion insects in your car.

As long as they are cool and out of the sunlight you should be fine for that short time. Throw a blanket over them to maintain temps. Keep the windows closed or you'll have a zillion insects in your car.

Well they will be in the back of my truck - i will have lids to snap on the containers - should i put some ice in there to help keep them cool - or will they be alright?

They will only be out there for 1-2 hours - the temp should be about 83ish at that time.

Have fun picking the grapes, have a good time with the kids in the park and then have even more fun making your wine!

Thanks - i am looking forward to it - the kids are even excited to help daddy cut the grapes off and after that - go play at the park!!!

Makes me wish i was a kid again!!

I think they will be fine but if you are really worried get some one gallon milk jugs and fill them with water and freeze them. Some people do this to cold soak the grapes before fermenting them in the fermenter.

I think they will be fine but if you are really worried get some one gallon milk jugs and fill them with water and freeze them. Some people do this to cold soak the grapes before fermenting them in the fermenter.

I am not "that" worried about it - i just wanted to make sure that they would not be ruined for that length of time.

my turn next sat!!!!:db
i will probably try the frozen gallon jug trick as i have a longer drive than jon (thanks wade)
i am only getting 50+ lbs. for a 5+ gal. batch, but am going to talk to them about some vines for next spring, too.
will probably stop for lunch at perryville, mo. going home, but grapes will be in my van, with the ice!
this makes me think of another question....should i buy some of their seyval wine to top up with?
and jon, u stopping at elephant rock or shut ins?
love 'em both, shut ins is waaay cool:fsh
**just checked their website, they don't list a seyval wine:(***

Last edited:
Yeah i only have about a 35 min drive there - stop off at the state park for a few hours.

No it will be st. francios state park - it is right on our way down.

I still need to take the kids to elephant rock and shut ins.

You can top up with seyval - i have actually read that with chardonel you should blend a little seyval and vice versa seyval should blend a little chardonel.

Yeah i only have about a 35 min drive there - stop off at the state park for a few hours.

No it will be st. francios state park - it is right on our way down.

I still need to take the kids to elephant rock and shut ins.

You can top up with seyval - i have actually read that with chardonel you should blend a little seyval and vice versa seyval should blend a little chardonel.

i have never been to st. francois state park. so many beautiful places in mo.
i checked river ridge winery, they're in commerce and they have a seyval blend. might stop there instead of perryville. it's gonna be a fun day trip!

my turn next sat!!!!:db
i will probably try the frozen gallon jug trick as i have a longer drive than jon (thanks wade)
i am only getting 50+ lbs. for a 5+ gal. batch, but am going to talk to them about some vines for next spring, too.
will probably stop for lunch at perryville, mo. going home, but grapes will be in my van, with the ice!
this makes me think of another question....should i buy some of their seyval wine to top up with?
and jon, u stopping at elephant rock or shut ins?
love 'em both, shut ins is waaay cool:fsh
**just checked their website, they don't list a seyval wine:(***

You will be a bit shy of all juice to make that batch. That is only 10 pounds of grapes per gallon of wine. It will take about 14-15 pounds per gallon when you press. You can add a little water to bring the acid down if needed, but I don't think you will need to. I certainly wouldn't add more than a couple quarts per 5 gallons at most.

Just got back with 275 #'s of chardonel grapes!! Man are they good grapes too!!

Brix is 24.5 and acid is .80. They taste great!!

Just got back with 275 #'s of chardonel grapes!! Man are they good grapes too!!

Brix is 24.5 and acid is .80. They taste great!!

woohoo jon! let us know how it goes!

and grapeman, u think i need to up my amount?? 75#?? i've got a whole empty van and at only .50c # with me picking them, no problem there either. i just have to remember, i have to process these myself in the two days after i pick 'em. i've looked at luc's bucket press and a "tomato" press from sanoma and williams (said it would work on any soft fruit and veggies). i'll see if i can post a pic.

picture.php

for less than 40 bucks, will it get me through this first batch?

Done crushing them - they are juicy - i have 2 - 18 gallon totes filled up - that does include the skins right now.

I should have enough juice for 13 gallons!!!

I would use 16 - 18 #'s per gallon.

And i got them for $.50 per pound - awesome deal.

You will like Ed down there - he said that he talked to you about coming next weekend - real nice guy.

Awesome winemaker.

Countrygirl, I would definitely get 75-8o pounds to make sure you have enough. Great deal, so don't skimp!

i won't. i skimped on my first kit and skimping isn't worth it.
ed was quick to reply to my emails. this will be a TRUE adventure in winemaking!

So it looks like i will be down there next saturday as well - as he probably won't be picking any on friday since he had so many helpers this weekend.

What time will you be there?

I will probably get an early start - be there at 7 - probably be done by 9.

So it looks like i will be down there next saturday as well - as he probably won't be picking any on friday since he had so many helpers this weekend.

What time will you be there?

I will probably get an early start - be there at 7 - probably be done by 9.

i'm leaving west ky at 0600...should be there 8-830. i'm going to call ed the day before to make sure no problems. me and my neice are planning on picking...i'm trying to talk my sis in law into going to take pics, lol, but she's not an early riser, lol.

i'm leaving west ky at 0600...should be there 8-830. i'm going to call ed the day before to make sure no problems. me and my neice are planning on picking...i'm trying to talk my sis in law into going to take pics, lol, but she's not an early riser, lol.

Well - maybe i will run into you on saturday - going to be 82 degrees for the high - should be a beautiful day.

Latest posts

Back