Store in Gallons

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptofimpact

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all, When I had the opportunity to make 'many' gallons of homemade from grapes, we had to store in 'gallon' bottles due to volume. Now that I must use kits, is there a downside to continue to store some of the wine in gallons, as opposed to fifth bottles?

How much wine can you drink in one sitting?

If you often have guests, a 1 gallon jug can be drank at once.

But for normal 1-2 persons, 1-2 glasses, a normal 750ml wine bottle is the right size so its drank before it can get oxidized.
Sulfites only last so long, especially when you start pouring and increasing headspace.

I even have some 375ml half-bottles that I'm using on my latest batch.

Gallons

Thanks for the reply..How much can one drink..Lol depends
When I make a kit, I generally bottle half of the wine in fifths, the rest in gallons, one to save space, then I keep a fifth bottle in the fridge, which I refill from the gallons, for my use.

Once you open a gallon jug it starts to oxidize right away. If you dont finish it say in a week it will turn on you and the taste will change.

I wouldn't have a problem doing this.. I would buy a wine saver pump and a 7 1/2 bung, attach the two together, stick on the gallon jug and pump out the air (and if there's any gas left in the wine it take that out too.) That will at least reduce some of the oxidation concerns.

Watch this youtube video, here's the idea, [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjL80hXkHdI[/ame] . 7 1/2 bung should work for the gallon jugs I think.

Last edited:
I would get some of that caned pressurized gas to isplace the missing volume in the gallon jugs when youdo your withdrawls but other then that as long as you have a good seal on the gallon caps or use airlocks on them gallon jugs all will be fine.

Back