Storage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Courtney

Reaction score
Ok so I have come to another stumbling block here....So after I bottle the wine, I am having a problem finding a place/ fridge to store 30 bottles of wine while it ages in the bottles.

I do live in apartments so that kinda puts a damper on things. :d

If anyone has any suggestions PLEASE HELP! I don't have the funds right now for a wine cooler/fridge/chiller (whatever you want to call it).

Thanks all:r

Got a cool dark place? This winter, a closet with an outside wall should do fine. In the summer move it to a place near an a/c outlet (if you have one).

Steve

I face a similar problem with storage, but I have a friend who lives in a house and is willing to store it. I made sure he wasn't a wine drinker before I asked.:)

He also has running water and a bathtub for cleaning bottles. Good friend, I only wish he had and apple orchard or other fruits growing like mad like some of the other members' friends in here.

Good luck, I see homebrewing as an addiction in your future. It is alot of fun and satisfying. I'll repeat what others have said a zillion times. Patience is one of the most important ingredients, and you can't buy it.
Troy
:b

Any fairly cool spot with fairly stable temps will work. One suggestion I might add is to spend the extra bucks and buy fully synthetic corks. You can then store the wine upright in the case the bottles came in if you are buying new bottles from a supply shop. I started doing this and I was able to store a whole lot more wine in a much smaller space. I have probably 40 cases of wine stashed about the house. Every closet has a few cases on the floor in the back. I have the equivalent of probably 4 kits in the back of our bedroom closet alone and don't even notice it.

Any fairly cool spot with fairly stable temps will work. One suggestion I might add is to spend the extra bucks and buy fully synthetic corks. You can then store the wine upright in the case the bottles came in if you are buying new bottles from a supply shop. I started doing this and I was able to store a whole lot more wine in a much smaller space. I have probably 40 cases of wine stashed about the house. Every closet has a few cases on the floor in the back. I have the equivalent of probably 4 kits in the back of our bedroom closet alone and don't even notice it.

I have noticed at my local winery he stores his wine upside down in the boxes the bottles come in. I'm am not sure if he plans to store them like this long term. Have you ever heard if this could be bad for it? I ask becouse my wine cooler is full and I just bottled 10 gallons so I was cosidering storing them that way.

I store all my wine in cases bottles upside down. That way I can stack them with out worring having them fall over
picture.php

And my racks
picture.php

If you use regular corks and store in the case you need to store them upside down to keep the corks moist. If you use full synthetics it doesn't matter. Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back